win 7 vs 8.1

I just broke down and ordered a new Notebook. My last note book I bought in 2006 and the desktop I'm working on I built around 2008 and all of them have Windows XP. I've heard that Windows 8 has a lot of issues with it but Windows 7 is more like the old system so I ordered a Gateway notebook with Windows 7.

I already have MS Office 2013 to work with it when I get it. Can I use any other old programs with Windows 7?

Sarge

Trial and error man, just install the software to see if windows 7 or windows 7sp1 might have any issues with it.
Far as I know anything made with windows xp sp1 or higher up usually works.
Some need compatibility mode due to how the program was designed and coded and needing old visual basic etc to run correctly.

Also if you don't know if 8 is right for you, all I can say is go for windows 8 original first.
Not gonna be a overnight thing and your magically great at it.
Took me about 30 days to get use to windows 8 menu design and windows explorer.
When I heard mak say he was giddy not to have to the start button..
I was iffy about it until I tried it, I love my start button and all.
Without it feels somewhat Mac OS X like or linux distro of suse which is a plus.

no one gonna list the reasons to move to 8?

faster boot
new security prevention measures
windows to go
near field communication
file explorer enhancements
cloud integrations
windows store apps

Trial and error man, just install the software to see if windows 7 or windows 7sp1 might have any issues with it.
Far as I know anything made with windows xp sp1 or higher up usually works.
Some need compatibility mode due to how the program was designed and coded and needing old visual basic etc to run correctly.

Also if you don't know if 8 is right for you, all I can say is go for windows 8 original first.
Not gonna be a overnight thing and your magically great at it.
Took me about 30 days to get use to windows 8 menu design and windows explorer.
When I heard mak say he was giddy not to have to the start button..
I was iffy about it until I tried it, I love my start button and all.
Without it feels somewhat Mac OS X like or linux distro of suse which is a plus.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to try it out with Windows 7 first and see if I like it before I go out and buy Windows 8 since it will come with 7.

Sarge

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to try it out with Windows 7 first and see if I like it before I go out and buy Windows 8 since it will come with 7.

Sarge

You'll like windows 7 if you enjoyed windows xp, also no need to upgrade to 8 so soon.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows Help
Windows 7 *
Service Pack 1
January 13, 2015
January 14, 2020

I imagined by 2015 hirs, windows 8.1 should be a whole lot better than it is right now.

End of 2015 we should expect the next iteration of Windows to be released if they stick to their 3 year release cycle.

Eh doesn't bother me much at all.
My only concern is staying one step ahead of microsoft's os development for my comptia exams.

Yes Microsoft is beginning work on windows 9, I hope its more adjusted for both business/home/mobile users. :/

Last edited:
no one gonna list the reasons to move to 8?

faster boot
new security prevention measures
windows to go
near field communication
file explorer enhancements
cloud integrations
windows store apps
The only thing most people care about if they actually notice.

End of 2015 we should expect the next iteration of Windows to be released if they stick to their 3 year release cycle.
I have a feeling 7 is going to last a ridiculously long time like XP did.

Will there be an 8.2 release?
Yes. It's supposedly bringing the real start menu back too. If they brought back my classic theme I would love Microsoft again.

There's a ton of rumors around that #9 will have the start menu back but nothing is confirmed.
I think I read somewhere that W8 starts faster because it really does not shut down like W7 or the past versions of windows but kinda goes into a sleep type of mode, so everythings still loaded in memory when you boot it up.
I suppose you can test this out by shutting down W8/8.1 and pulling the 120/240v power for a 1/2 hour or so to clear out the memory and see how fast it boots up after that

Some Google reveals that 8.2 is going to be 9 and release date is set for 2015. Sigh, so stupid. Wish they would make up their mind. Would be nice not to need a 3rd party program for my start menu.

Back
Top Bottom