Win 7 upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Microsoft has outlined for us to suggest to users is that they start the upgrade process from the qualifying product desktop....

Why? Because Microsoft is scared that user's legitimately performing a clean install using Windows 7 upgrade media on their licensed machines will promote other users with unlicensed machines to take advantage in order to save money? This is Microsoft's problem.

Well, fortunately I'm not in a biased and restricted position, and can be objective in assisting the OP in upgrading to Windows 7, which is what I have done. This isn't about what Microsoft prefers its users to do for whatever ulterior reason. It's about finding and suggesting the most appropriate solution for Maximas in his situation. Furthermore, none of this has anything to do with semantics. None of the wording in the references that both you and I have provided are ambiguous. They're written very clearly and can only be interpreted in one way. All I was simply trying to do was explain to Maximas that if he wanted to perform a clean install of Windows 7 on his existing computer (which he asked about doing), which has a qualifying license, then it is perfectly and unarguably legal for him to do so.

What's even more silly is that Maximas doesn't even have a choice in the matter
! He can't upgrade from his copy of Windows XP 64-bit to Windows 7, nor can he upgrade from his copy of Vista Ultimate 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit using his Windows 7 upgrade media. He has to backup his files (manually or via the easy transfer wizard) and perform a 'custom install' or clean install with the upgrade media, and then transfer his files back to Windows 7. So your following post was invalid:
No. It is upgrade media. So if you have to format you will have to install XP again and upgrade to Win7. If you used just a straight up full version of Win7 to install, then yes. But since you used upgrade method you have to take the long road should you decide to format.
And even if it were possible for him to upgrade (e.g. if he has Vista 64-bit installed), then he wouldn't need to 'take the long road' at all to install Windows 7 with upgrade media if he decided to format beforehand, unlike what you said. This, you cannot challenge.

Also, I was trying to make clear that when you said the following, you were entirely incorrect:
...While the "Upgrade Media for clean install" is legal, there are certain conditions that MUST be meet. Like having a qualifying OS installed before you start the process as Win7 does check for this.
You cannot argue that what you said was valid, because it was entirely invalid. As Paul Thurrot, Ed Bott and Eric Lingman stated, a qualifying OS doesn't have to be installed beforehand, contrary to what you said. Only a system with a qualifying license is required. The two are not of the same thing.

I fully understand Alvin. I really and truly honestly do. But simply put, Microsoft has said to start the install from within the qualiying OS. Ed Bott, Paul Thurrott and Eric Lingman are not under a Microsoft NDA and are available to give open opinions.

Did i ever say that my suggestion was the only one? No.
Did i ever say that my suggestion is the one that should be followed? No.

My statements are true in regards to the re-install given the fact that i am doing what i am asked to do. If he decides to reinstall Win7 again, according to Microsoft this would require a reinstall of XP First and then using the Upgrade Media from the XP Desktop. It is a correct statement given the fact of the upgrade path that Microsoft wants people to follow.

Everything i have said follows exactly what i was asked to do. I have never anywhere said a single thing that my comments are the correct ones, or the path that should be followed. I am making it known how Microsoft wants it done.

Yes you are giving the opinion of a person who doesnt have to follow such guidelines as i have to. Which is fine. But in the end i have never said anything about my responses being the ONLY answer. There are other options out there, which you have shown. Given the opportunity i would have said the same exact thing.

Is it the best choice? By no means at all. I am not going to sit here and bicker of stuff like this cause it isnt worth it. I have given my responses accordingly to what i was asked to do.

Again never have i said my answer was the only one. Never have i said that my responses should be the one followed. I am giving my answer based on the path that we were asked to suggest. Nothing more, nothing less.

You are right in every aspect in what you have suggested. You are doing what should be done and give another option to someone when a better option is available. I am doing what I have been asked. I am doing what Microsoft has asked of me. I never, ever said that it was the right thing or the only thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom