win 7 on HDD and new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenschX

Baseband Member
Cameron has win 7 on his hard drive. Monday we will change his mobo to a new one. will windows give us problems? I am all out of authorizations, and am worried that windows 7 will see the new mobo as a new computer.

will it? and if it does what needs to be done? It is a retail version.

Yes Windows will give problems. In fact you have to buy a new license. According to Microsoft a new Mobo means a new PC and requires a new license.

1 serial = 1 PC. So your retail copy should ONLY be on your PC. You will have to buy a new copy. Only choice.

no way...I just purchased this 2 weeks ago.

I always thought is System builder version is only for one PC. Retail is not and I can have it authorized only one pc at a time, but as many pcs as i want.

It doesnt matter if you purchased it 2 hours ago. These are the terms of use. Once you click Okay at the screen that gives all that legal stuff, also known as the End User License Agreement, this is what you are agreeing to.

1 Serial= 1 PC. Always has been this way. If you REMOVE the Os from the other machine you can then transfer the retail license to a different machine. But only AFTER you remove it. You can NOT just use the same serial on 5 different machines just becuase you have Retail. I have studied in depth the EULA for Windows for many years now. These are the terms. This is what is stated. Yeah it stinks, but this is what you agree to when you install it.

that's what I mean. I am not going to use the same copy of windows 7 on 2 different computers at the same time. I am saying it'll be a different motherboard, same Hard Drive...but I will only use this copy of windows on one computer.

You dont understand. A new mother board is a new PC in Microsoft's eyes. That means a new license must be purchased. Doesnt matter if the same hard drive is used, doesnt matter if the only 2 parts changed are the Mother board and CPU. It requires a new license.

Installing the same copy of Windows 7 (Using the serial on 2 machine) but only use 1 machine at a time makes no sense. Why would you bother to install it on the other machine then? Why not keep it completely legal and only have it on the 1 machine that you legally can have it on?

Either way you said it yourself, you maxed out your activations. You are building what is regarded as a new PC. Since you already maxed out your activations and are building a new PC along with the fact you cant transfer it cause you still have it installed all points to buying a new copy. This is the terms of the agreement with Microsoft. Doing anything other than buying a new copy would be technically illegal per the EULA and TOU.

ok...I think you do misunderstand. I WILL NOT use the other "old" computer anymore, it will be trashed. This copy of windows will NOT be used on 2 computers .Not now, not ever. I understand that I can't use the same copy of windows on more then one computer at a time. but I thought I can deactivate one computer and activate it on the new computer. [IF I trash the other computer]

I have 4 computers, thats why I purchased 4 copies. So yes I think I do understand. I am NOT using an illegal copy. I think that's what you think, which is incorrect.

I can't believe I can't de-activate this computer if I am planing on trashing it.

I can however believe that I will run into activation problems, but I am hoping I can resolve them by calling microsoft.

so what am I not understanding? I really must be missing something... [german :( ]

ok, i just found this:
You make a significant hardware change to your computer, such as upgrading the hard disk drive and memory at the same time or replacing the motherboard in your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) computer. If a major hardware change requires activating Windows again, you will be notified and will have three days to activate your copy of Windows.

or this:

You uninstall Windows on one computer and install it on another. (This applies only to Windows Vista acquired via a retail purchase or through volume licensing.) During installation, enter the product key that came with your copy of Windows. If automatic activation fails, follow the instructions that walk you through activating Windows by phone. You will have 30 days to activate your copy of Windows.

I am guessing it's the same for win 7.
that's all I was asking.

You never said anywhere that you were going to trash the other PC. As per your previous statement all you said was you were not going to use it on 2 PC's at the same time. You did not say that you were going to recycle the PC and not have access to it anymore at all. There is a BIG difference in terminology. If you would have stated up front that the other PC was going to be discarded then i could have given you different options.

Since you ARE getting rid of your old PC and you ARE using this serial on a newly built PC and are using a retail version, it is highly unlikely that you will have to call. As each Retail copy can be installed then transferred to up to 3 different machines before a phone call is to be made.

Since you are getting rid of the old machine, yes you can transfer the license and use it legitly on the new machine you are building. I would have told you that up front if you would haev jsut told me you were trashing your current machine and going with the new one. ;)

sorry I figured it would explain itself that if I change the mobo that's just an upgrade, and the old case/mobo will be trashed.
It was late last night. I keep doing that..working lat
e and posting things that make no sense. lol
anyway...glad that I hopefully won't have any issues with activating. the new mobo is coming earlier then expected....yeahhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom