Win 7 Compatability mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be...

and...

That won't help much for Prey however since the installation went right on. But when going to run the game for the initial configuration and first map I ended up seeing...

This is what happens when you have two optical drives installed and a disk in both drives when going to install Prey

Yes that is exactly what was said and yes it is a process that you can use to try and install a program. While Troubleshooting Compatibility is not the only method to try and get a application installed you can use full on Compatibility mode, the statement made by Hampton was still correct.

I dont understand what you are trying to get at here? Everyone knows that not everything will run. But at least there is more than 1 option to try.

The problem being seen now is not from not being able to change modes while browsing the disk but not seeing the usual popup menu when right clicking on the desktop shortcut itself even with the game disk in the correct drive.

The spinning circle disappears in a few minutes with no right click menu following several attempts. The next step is to drag a second shortcut onto the desktop to see that can be modified to point at the actual drive the installation was seen from in the target line.

The things you don't go through! :p

That did it!

Yes to install it normally would be a bonus, but for some reason I thought we were talking about, things that don't always install normally, LOL

I've used the compatibility mode on previous versions(XP as well as Vista) and still ran into dead ends trying to get one program or another to install at times. For desktop softwares like ZA you won't find them as flexible as you would with multi version game designs. The software companies intend to sell you the next version of their software once the next version appears.

Games have fared far better since this will be the 3rd version of Windows to see Prey installed. The problem seen there could have happened in XP or Vista just the same for a totally different reason there.

Your best option for the time being is trying to work with it to see if you get anywhere before having to lose out on the subscription. In teh event you still can't save ZA there are a few other firewall programs to consider even a few freewares.

Yes, and thanks, I do bounce back and forth from Comodo to AVG, right now I have Comodo CIS installed and the only way it worked was through the "trouble shoot compatibility" option. tho the CIS firewall isn't fully working the windows firewall is. in my Win 7 x64 setup, using the latest versions available from the manufactures web site

I tend to lean away from the 64bit versions of anything at this point. The time still isn't right for seeing all kinds of driver support as well as softwares available that has priviledged 32bit for more then a decade already.

If you were running the 32bit beta I could point you at a few others like... Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator that will effectively eliminate the need for a firewall being too much like the UAC seen in Vista! This was when trying to get Flash Player on 7 earlier.

I tend to lean away from the 64bit versions of anything at this point. The time still isn't right for seeing all kinds of driver support as well as softwares available that has priviledged 32bit for more then a decade already.

If you were running the 32bit beta I could point you at a few others like... Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator that will effectively eliminate the need for a firewall being too much like the UAC seen in Vista! This was when trying to get Flash Player on 7 earlier.

Well outside of my webcam x64 runs everything for me no prob, and with 64 bit OS it helps reduce the need for spyware programs, you do need them just not as badly as 32 bit.

Update: The Pinical TV Tuner card thats is from the 1990's installed using the "Trouble shoot Compatibility" mode but on this Win7 x86 install (the second time around) I don't have sound from the app.. sigh.. but the sound worked the first time I installed Win7 on an older machine.

I get sound but nothing but a greyed out picture where you can see the outlines of people or objects. Sound has never been a problem with 7 or with more then one card for Vista while XP always sees reliable results for that.

At least 7 has a good excuse of being in beta presently while the "Vista ready" labeling is a bunch of crap! I'll be testing Nero's capture option once booted in Vista again to see if that will record in Vista. Otherwise back to square one with XP simply for video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom