Win 7 64 bit DVD drive only reads O S disc, no movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

stkshooter

Solid State Member
I am sorry for the long post but wanted to offer all that has been done so you understand I really have tried to solve this. If anyone could please offer some suggestions I would be very greatful.

New PC build using DVD from another working PC but won't read movies in new build.

Problems with ATAPI/E-IDE Half-Height internal DVD+R/ DVD+RW/ DVD-R/ DVD-RW/ DVD+R9/ DVD-R9/ DVD-RAM/DVD-ROM/CD-R/ CD-RW/ CD-ROM combination drive.

DVD drive reads OS type CD like win. 7 or Logitech, Samsung, Microsoft CD but not DVD movies or CD music brand new out of the case. This seems to be a common problem with win. 7 64 bit. from what I have read but can't find a fix. The DVD drive I am using worked just fine with Win. 7 32 bit. In another machine.

The drive is 2006 model DH-20A4H made by Lite ON LITE-ON IT Corporation America - DH-20A4H

Update firmware / drivers for DVD drive but didn't fix. Lite ON offers a utility that downloads the correct driver but that didn't change anything. I have tried the below options that people claim have worked for them with no luck.

K-Lite_Codec_Pack_570_Mega

Option 1
Restart your Windows 7 machine and as the computer starts press F8.
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Option 2
1. Click Start, and then click All Programs.
2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
3. Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters. You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
11. Exit Registry Editor.
12. Restart the computer.
If you didn't find the UpperFilter or LowerFilter in your registry this method may not be applicable to your computer. Try one of the other solutions below.

Option 3
1. Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right click Command Prompt > Run as administrator.
2. Paste the following line into the Command Prompt window and hit Enter
bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
3. Restart the computer.

My PC build If you need more info.
Cooler Master Centurion 534 Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and Audio 120mm fan
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
MSI 890GXM-G65 Motherboard - AMD 890GX, Socket AM3, ATX, DDR3, RAID, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C7D3K2/4G CL 7
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 / AM3 compatible GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Seagate 7200.12 ST3750528AS Barracuda Hard Drive - 750GB, 7200rpm, 32MB, Serial ATA-300
Netgear WNDA3100 RangeMax Wireless N Network Adapter - 300Mbps, 802.11n/g/a, USB 2.0, Dual Band (Recertified)
Win. 7 64 bit OS
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 226bw
Logitech 5.1 speakers

Well i use Win7 64 Bit and i have no issues watching movies with my install. All i did was install a codec pack.

Have you tried anther DVD Player to make sure that isnt the problem?

Well i use Win7 64 Bit and i have no issues watching movies with my install. All i did was install a codec pack.

Have you tried anther DVD Player to make sure that isnt the problem?

No I didn't try another drive because this drive was pulled from another working PC with win. 7 32 bit so I assumed it would work in this new build running win. 7 64 bit.

I am considering buying a NEW drive but figured it was a software / driver issue I might be able to find a fix for. thanks

Solved: I am not sure which of the above fixed the problem but my DVD plays movies now. After installing OS I tried 2 diff. DVD movies Shrek & Lord of the rings but win. would not read either one at all. Nothing!!!

I tried all kinds of setting changes and firmware / driver updates and couldn't get DVD to read these 2 movies I was using as test DVD disc. The Lord of the Rings DVD I was using as 1 of the 2 test DVD works fine in all of our set top box DVD players but won't play in any PC since they all have win. 7 now. This is when I realized the problem. I figured lets try the portable laptop DVD players and see if it works. After win. set up new hardware I inserted lord of the rings disc. and it started to play. Wow! I continued to watch and see if it would keep reading disc. NOPE it stopped where the movie started and ERROR reads this disc is not compatible with this region to pick a diff. region. I'm thinking WTF it was purchased from Blockbuster how could it not be compatible for this region. Well, I kept playing many other DVD in the external player and they all worked fine. I played them on other PC's with win. 7 and they all worked fine. I then tried them in PC that would not read any DVD before and it gives me an error but started reading it. I removed the external DVD player and rebooted the PC to make sure I was starting fresh with no error issues and then tried internal DVD again with movie I knew played in external DVD player.

It played like nothing was ever wrong with it. EXCEPT for lord of the rings DVD still won't play. I played sony, dreamworks, parimont and they all played fine but new line home entertainment from blockbuster video 2005 is the only one that wouldn't play. What are the odds of picking 1 DVD as a test disc out of prob. 50 sitting here that won't play. I tried 2 and PC wouldn't even read either one but 1 of the 2 plays fine now so there was a problem before and I can only assume one of the above fixes took care of the problem.

So does anybody have a fix for that region error ? If not I'll keep my set top DVD player with it's older software because this is a Windows issue blocking the drive.

What changed from before ? I don't know because I made all the above changes using lord of the rings as a test DVD and it was the only one that wouldn't play. But I know for a fact the one DVD that plays now would not before right after install. Win. would not even read it before the above changes so there is a problem with 64 bit that I didn't have with 32 bit.

Hope this helps somebody so they don't have to find out the hard way. Try many DVD's before you run out and buy a new drive. A new drive wouldn't have fixed my prob. if turning off win. settings was the fix.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom