Win 2K reboot loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
So one of the computers here at work got a virus. Big deal. Went down the list of the repair and delete. OK fine. Please restart your computer. OK. Now that's all it does. It has Win2000 on it. I get the 2K splash screen, and a very fast blue background, then reboot. Same issue with safe mode. It starts to load drivers, gets to one that says c:\system32\drivers\agp400.sys, pauses for a few seconds, then the blue background flash, then reboot. Stops at the same place every time. This computer hasn't had any hardware changes. Ever. It has current MS patches and current virus updates. I thought maybe bad RAM, memtest won't run on the thing. I changed the boot order and it still bypasses the floppy. Cleared the CMOS, changed the RAM with a stick I know is good. Same results. This is weird because it worked fine this morning, then poof. It IS connected to the internet, but the only users on it are me and one other person. It rarely if ever visits a web site except for updates. It's a Compaq 800Mhz, 256 MB RAM. It is used only to connect to our AS 400. But without it, we are screwed if there is a problem with the 400. So, any ideas? Formatting is a problem. It NEEDS to be done and upped to XP, but we would need corporate approval and also other software that they don't allow us here to install. Fun huh?

Edit: We don't have a copy of Win2K here to do a repair install either. I have one of my own, but will it accept it since it would have a different CD key?

Yea you have alot of problems :(

Usually here where I am, we just restore the workstation back to a good state using Ghost. As we already have the image and all necessary application install so a virus recovery make's it easier. Might just be hardware related to. Why would it be bypassing the floppy, unless the floppy is dead also or part of the motherboard.

We aren't allowed to use Ghost. Sucks too because it would save me a lot of time.
I have been told that I can change the Plug-n-Play OS setting to "yes" and this may solve the problem. Haven't tried it yet though. As for bypassing the floppy, that is a strange one. The floppy drive has only been used twice since the PC was set up so I can't believe it would be bad. But it could. I guess my Memtest disk could be bad too.
And of course corporate has said there "isn't enough disposable capital for the purchase of a new PC at this time"
They can get new carpet though...

This machine doesn't have the option for the plug-n-play OS. Oh well. As long as it gets fixed by next Saturday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom