Win 2K and networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I've never used Win 2k... I've mostly dealt with Linux and XP over the years, with a pinch of 98 from back in the day. I just got Win 2k, and I'm trying to set up dual boot with Win 2k and Ubuntu (Linux). Linux is working just fine, however I can't get Win 2k to work.

At first I thought, meh it's the network driver... then I realized I had onboard LAN.

What can I do to get around this? The only network connections I can get into are dial up connections... so I'm not sure what to do. I can't seem to find a networking wizard or anything. (???)

You can't boot into Windows 2000 after installing Ubuntu? or you can't get the network card to work in 2000, if that, you just need to download the driver from your motherboard's web site. Download it within Ubuntu and burn it into a CD, it's probably larger than 1.4 megabytes.

Windows 2000 is almost identical to XP.

Ubuntu is fine. Dual boot is fine. Windows just couldn't get on the internet.

I looked in my newegg history and found out that my board has the Marvell LAN controller, so I got that driver off of MSI's site. I also downloaded WinZip and put WinZip and the driver on my jumpdrive. WinZip extracted the driver, and it came out to 3 files. .sys, inf or something, and a third one. Then I got stuck. Still can't get on the internet.

For the **** of it I'm going to burn the driver to a CD and see what happens.

Usually with NIC drivers there is no "installer" per say..all you need to do now is point the device to the driver location. Right click on "My Computer" select "properties" then go to "hardware" and then the "device manager" tab...at least if I recall it was the same tab in 2000 as XP..

You will then see your NIC with a yellow quesiton mark most likely. Right click on the device and select update driver or reinstall driver or something like that..then select to manually browse to the location and then browse to the extracted folder with the drivers in it..it should only see the .inf file. Open that file and it should load the driver...

Yea, the .inf file is what you need. You can right click on it and there's probably an install option. But the practical way is through device manager as mention above.

I went to my motherboard's main web site and downloaded the LAN controller driver as I said above. That didn't work.

So I ended up getting the entire northbridge driver and ran that. It included pretty much everything except the on board audio driver, so once I got online whenever I got an error message, popup, or something happened on my buddy list, my annoying system speaker went off.

But no biggie, I was online already with the northbridge driver and just picked up the audio driver.

All is well now. Thanks.

Yea usually the chipset installer install all the goodies you are seeking :) glad you got it all workin for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom