Win 2000 repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
Can you do a windows 2000 repair with a windows xp disk. yes i know you will tell me to just install windows xp but it would be much more of a hassle to install windows and all the programs that are on the machine since there are a lot of programs with a lot of special configurations. Or can you us an xp cd and upgrade and so you do not have to format the drive and lose all the programs.

Ok. I think i got what you are asking and i would say no. Since XP has different files and pretty much everything different that 2000 you wont be able to use an XP CD to repair a 2000 install. But a side note if you would wouldnt it be a downgrade to go from XP to 2000?

no the computer currently has 2000 on it. since i cant do a repair with the xp cd, can i upgrade to xp without having to format the hard drive, pretty much just removing the win 2000 system files and replacing them with xp files.

An XP Upgrade disc would do pretty much that. It will replace most of your 2000 files with the XP ones. It wont be a full and true XP but it will look like XP. Not all the files can be over written with an upgrade disc (or so i think). Since some are serious and critial files that are needed for operation. I could be wrong. But i have read and heard that it doesnt act totally like a fresh XP install. If you want to use a full XP disc and not an upgrade you wont have the option to upgrade just full install. In that case you can install and leave the partition alone but none of the apps would work since it is a new registry and not all files for the apps would be in the registry.

benzimm86 said:
no the computer currently has 2000 on it. since i cant do a repair with the xp cd, can i upgrade to xp without having to format the hard drive, pretty much just removing the win 2000 system files and replacing them with xp files.

Makaveli213 is right, it will be VERY DODGY, half your programs wont run and the computer will be crappy and not as nice as a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom