Win 2000 Pro or Xp Sp2 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie578

In Runtime
I am building a new pc, mainly for gaming and general usage (internet, videos, music, burning, word processing, etc...)
It will have AMD X2 processor, at leat a gig of ram, etc...
After a while of using xp, things tend to slow down alot (on my current pc: Duron 1.8, 768ram...). My games freeze up for a second every 3 secs or so. Every game does this, and i just bought a 6800GS. I installed win2k on a secondary hdd and my games on taht win instalation run great. On my new build, should i install win2k or xp for best preformance. My choice is one of these cuz most newer games require either win 2k or xp.

i would recommend Windows 2000, as long as you update it to SP4, because its the latest service pack.

Your Duron was slow with XP because its like a celeron, very basic, runs acceptable.

New games require Windows 98 and up.

go for xp pro sp2 , i highly doubt youll have freeze ups with such a fast pc

its enough for most games but there are a few real heavy ones that will work smoother with more ram , as for xp memory hogging thats not true it doesnt take too much ram at all but the ram taken by other softwares you install and that runs on startup is a whole other issue

I second jeremy on the Windows XP SP2
with the specs provided you should have no problems

If you do have problems I suggest running some hardware diagnostics

Go for XP and talldude SP4 on Win2K isn't the lattest it was the last on a dying operating system that has fallen from mainstream updates.

everybody can say what they want.

2000 = Faster computer

XP sp2 = safer computer out of the box, but way slower.

XP is and will alway be a resource hog with it's eye candy. xp 2600 (no service packs) is the fastest version of xp, but it ain't safe

talldude123 said:
i would recommend Windows 2000, as long as you update it to SP4, because its the latest service pack.

Your Duron was slow with XP because its like a celeron, very basic, runs acceptable.

New games require Windows 98 and up.

new games require windows 2000 and up
some new games like doom3 and FEAR don't run on windows 98/ME

jeremy said:
go for xp pro sp2 , i highly doubt youll have freeze ups with such a fast pc
and all you other ppl who say win xp, what is the benefit of xp over 2k, besides updates and looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom