Win 10 pro or not

chara33

Daemon Poster
Do you guys recommend updating to win 10 from 8.1? I am debating this coz of all the talk about MS being able to view everything we are doing.

Are you guys updating? If so, what are you doing to prevent MS from doing this?

thx

I've already updated (clean install) to Win10. Like it more than Win8.1 so far.

IMO most of the concerns are FUD until I see a credible source. At the moment, you can already go through and disable pretty much all of the privacy stuff.

I believe O&O also came out with a tool called "ShutUp10" that gives another interface for disabling some of the additional things (I haven't really looked into it that much, just got an email about it the other day).

I've already updated (clean install) to Win10. Like it more than Win8.1 so far.

IMO most of the concerns are FUD until I see a credible source. At the moment, you can already go through and disable pretty much all of the privacy stuff.

I believe O&O also came out with a tool called "ShutUp10" that gives another interface for disabling some of the additional things (I haven't really looked into it that much, just got an email about it the other day).

Did you upgrade to win 10 pro and then format the drive and do a clean install of win 10 pro?

I didn't do the upgrade - I had a retail version of Win10 available to me through my DreamSpark account.

Do you recommend upgrade then fresh install? I have my win 8.1 act key from when i bought my new laptop 6 weeks ago. I used magic jellybean to get it. Can I do a fresh install and then use that act key without issues?

thx

If you do the upgrade and want to fresh install, you'll have to do:

1. Go through with the upgrade so that it generates your hardware ID for activation (you don't use a key anymore for Win10 unless you buy a retail version of Win10).
2. After the upgrade completes, then you can either use the Media Creation Tool for WIn10 by MS or use the Reset PC feature under Settings -> Updates & Recovery -> Recovery
3. After choosing which you want to do, you can reinstall and not have to worry about activation since it's tied to your hardware ID and will auto-activate once connected to the internet. If you use the install media, you'll just have to skip the product key screen.

Hi! I have heard so many stores. I did the upgrade. I personally didn't see that much improvement over W7 and so I rolled back. The big improvement IMO would be upgrading from W8.1. If you upgrade first, I don't think you need the key. I was never asked for a key.
It is my understanding that once you upgrade you can do as many resets or fresh installs as you want because MS already has your PC ID. Those are my understandings.
Gary!!
Opps sorry carnage. Looks like we tied!!

Can i use the MS creation tool to upgrade? Then format the HD abd do a clean install of win 10 pro? I already did an image of win 8.1 pro just in case i want to go back to it.

Can i use the MS creation tool to upgrade? Then format the HD abd do a clean install of win 10 pro? I already did an image of win 8.1 pro just in case i want to go back to it.

;)

If you do the upgrade and want to fresh install, you'll have to do:

1. Go through with the upgrade so that it generates your hardware ID for activation (you don't use a key anymore for Win10 unless you buy a retail version of Win10).
2. After the upgrade completes, then you can either use the Media Creation Tool for WIn10 by MS or use the Reset PC feature under Settings -> Updates & Recovery -> Recovery
3. After choosing which you want to do, you can reinstall and not have to worry about activation since it's tied to your hardware ID and will auto-activate once connected to the internet. If you use the install media, you'll just have to skip the product key screen.

Or do you mean for the initial (Step 1) upgrade? If that's your question..then yes, you can do that as well - or just let the Win10 upgrader application do the upgrade. Either will get you the same result.

Is there a way to keep win 8.1 on 1 partition, upgrade 8.1 to win 10 on another so it can be set up as a dual boot? If so, how plz?

thx

Back
Top Bottom