Win 10 Icon

Well I had really hoped to upgrade to 10 in a VM. That way I could wait to update win 10 as my main OS but looks like isn't gonna work out like I had hoped.

Well I had really hoped to upgrade to 10 in a VM. That way I could wait to update win 10 as my main OS but looks like isn't gonna work out like I had hoped.

Well you have 1 year to upgrade your current OS to Win10 for free.

Until then, run the trial of Enterprise and see if you do indeed want to upgrade.

You can always upgrade and then revert back as well, so that your copy of Win10 is activated.

sighs--

or I could do what I did and decide to upgrade one of the other units I have-

downloaded the update and told me I had to restart-

went thru the update and restarted- black screen no flash screen or hdd activity let it sit for 30 mins and no changes- power cycled and still same results-

the machine is HP Pavilion p6-2100... looks like I just created a weekend project! guessing the bios might be hosed-

since it is an HP the BIOS available for download says update- does this mean it is just the update or the latest full version?

BIOS updates usually rewrite the entire flash memory for the BIOS - so it would be an updated full version of the BIOS.

I don't believe it is a ram or hardware issue but I removed both sticks and booted with one- no change booted with in different ram slots- no change- I did not boot it blank- will try that later-

had a spare hdd attempted to boot and same results-

no gpu to remove on board-

ok here is the link to themobo

I removed the battery left it out for a couple mins- attempted reboot- no change
still boots to black screen-

attempted to clear CMOS following the steps on the link above. still the same-

I believe it is getting a signal- the monitor goes from no signal to the black screen but nothing ever happens after that- no hdd activity or anything-

(edit)long shot but do you think the BIOS not being UEFI enabled is what caused the issue? It was win 7 machine and I did not even think about it- is there a way to get back into BIOS? or did I just create a lawn dart with the mobo?

Last edited:
No, UEFI not being enabled would not cause the board to fail. I installed WIn10 on an old Thinkpad T61p which doesn't have UEFI.

Funny you're having issues, because a friend of mine was having issues with his HP laptop as well...which has similar symptoms as yours. Though his apparently may qualify for a repair because they apparently had a recall on them, but he hasn't looked into it yet. He had issues on both Win7 and WIn8, and ended up getting it working back on Win7 for a short while. THen he tried upgrading to WIn10...and boom - started happening again. Tried going back to Win7, and wouldn't boot anymore.

Just another reason why I shy away from HP's consumer line...

Back
Top Bottom