Win 10/ Browsers

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

At first, couldn't decide which forum to put this in...."Official Windows 10 Thread"....."Internet Software and Browsers".....but I hope here is OK.

I've had Windows 10 since about July of 2015. At first I did the in-place upgrade on my previous Windows 8.1 system. Then a month or so later, I did a clean install via a USB drive; that's what I've been using since (and it's Windows 10 Home, 64-bit).

I've noticed something for.....oh, I don't know....for about a month now? At first I thought it was just me, but after some checking around with friends & colleagues (and even those that work in the tech field), they say they've noticed it too.

With either the Edge browser, or, the good ol' Internet Explorer, web pages are slow to load and practically get "stuck" sometimes.

I use MSN.com - Hotmail, Outlook, Skype, Bing, Latest News, Photos & Videos as my home page. When I click on a link on the home page, when that next page loads.....it is slow to load and respond. When I use my center mouse wheel to scroll down the page, it's like it gets "stuck".....and then all of the sudden start scrolling again even though my finger hasn't stopped flicking on the mouse wheel; the page just stops scrolling and then picks up scrolling after like a 3 to 5 second pause.

And when I go to exit the browser completely by clicking on the red "X" in the top right-hand corner....there's another 3 to 5 second delay before it closes out.

Like I said, I thought it was just me at first, but friends & colleagues say they've noticed it too. One of my techie friends say it may have something to do with Microsoft's Edge or IE not handling HTML5 very well. When I thought it was just me, I was checking for things like viruses/ spyware/ malware, etc. I don't have toolbar add-ons, and I even ran HiJackThis just to make sure.

I have Firefox, also, which seems to load pages faster & scroll better, but, a weird thing with that? As I mentioned, I use MSN.com - Hotmail, Outlook, Skype, Bing, Latest News, Photos & Videos as my home page, and many of their articles have a part down at the bottom where it will say "Comments/ Join the Conversation"; you click there and you get to see people's feedback & opinions. In Firefox, the Comment/ Conversation section doesn't even show up. Weird.

So....anyone else observe this poor browser response with Edge/ IE? Slow to load....gets "stuck"....clicking the "X" to exit is also slow?

I've used Google Chrome in the past, but the one thing that bugged me about that was that it was a pain in the you-know-what to figure out how to turn off automatic updates; I think it eventually came down to an edit/ modification of the registry. Most people couldn't give a hoot about whether auto updates is on or not; I just prefer to do it manually. I can do it with IE & Firefox, but not Chrome.

Is there a Setting that perhaps is effecting my browsers? You know how in Settings/ Updates & Security/ Windows Updates/ Advanced Options/ Choose How Updates are Delivered/ Updates from more than one place/, there's that part that says, "When this is turned on, your PC may also....."? Well I have that slider switch to "Off".

What's with the Edge & IE browsers? Anybody else out there experiencing this? Any help or info?

Thanks,
Pez

Wow; this is a first for me: I'm replying to my own thread :omg:

I started posting on this forum back in 2008, and this is the first time that I've gotten no reply to a query of mine (I posted this almost two weeks ago).

Anything? Anybody? I see that my post has well over a hundred Views....but no Replies :silent:

No ideas why IE or Edge is slow to respond on my system? Either scrolling or exiting (clicking the "X")? And that Firefox doesn't display this behavior....except I can't see the Comments/ Conversation at the bottom of articles?

Throw me a bone??...... :eek:
Pez

I don't use Edge or IE on Win10 so I can't really comment on that - I use Chrome.

As for the FF issues...do you have an ad-blocker? or Script blocker extension installed? That would block the content.

So....anyone else observe this poor browser response with Edge/ IE? Slow to load....gets "stuck"....clicking the "X" to exit is also slow?

Isn't that...basically how IE works? :p
Jokes aside, is it possible an extra "feature" was enabled? Security scans, compatibility view, etc.

Hey, carnageX & S0ULphIRE!! Thanks for chiming in; I don't feel so forsaken and alone now :lol:

carnageX: With Firefox, do I have an ad-blocker? No, no 3rd-party program installed. However, within Firefox itself, in Options/ Content, I do have a checkmark in the box for Pop-ups (Block pop-up windows). So since you mentioned it, I tried taking the check out of the box, refreshing, and then going to an article that has comments/ conversation; nope, it still won't display.

And a script-blocker extension installed? Again: would that be a 3rd-party program? Nope, I haven't installed anything like that. And script-blocking isn't something that's already within the Firefox browser, is it?

And just to be clear, here's a screen-shot of what I'm talking about as viewed within the Edge browser at the bottom of an article on msn.com:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/Comments_zpsrbhninkk.jpg

If you click anywhere within where the red arrows are pointing, it will expand to this:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/Conversation_zpsuvsoiygg.jpg

But if I'm using the Firefox browser, the first picture (with the red arrows) doesn't even show up; like this:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/CommentBlank_zpstgdcd7uk.jpg

And S0ULphIRE: Is it possible an extra "feature" was enabled? Security scans, compatibility view, etc.? Do you mean did I do any of these things within Firefox? No, I didn't. And security scan? I just use the built-in Windows Defender.

This must be something unique from within the Firefox browser itself, because I can see the Comments/ Conversation in Edge & IE.....but it's just that those browsers have been acting so darn slow & unresponsive ever since I've had Windows 10.

Any other ideas?
Pez

Been using Edge for the first month after installing W10 and yes, I also notice that "slow down " thing. My next option was to use chrome. You can try it too.

Same with me, I get the issue with edge, thats why I use Chrome ;)

Btw, chromium is exactly the same as chrome and it doesn't have auto updates as it says in it's faq:
Q: Does the open-source Chromium browser auto-update like Chrome?
No. Chromium does not have its own auto-update process, so if you are deploying Chromium, do you not need to worry about turning off auto-updates.

Download Here: https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium

I've been using FireFox with Win 10 since the very first preview. Just tried going to MSN.com and I see the "Comments/ Join the Conversation" after an article. However, the comments section doesn't seem to load immediately, takes awhile for it to show up. Maybe you're not giving it enough time?

I do have an adblocker installed so don't think that's the issue.

I don't use Edge, IE or Chrome so can't comment on those browsers.

So checked with FF on my Win10 box - and it works fine.

However, enabling NoScript disables the comments box from showing.

I went through and found which domains it's connecting to, however:
facebook.com
facebook.net
fbcdn.net

Used the Network tab view in FireFox's Dev tools to check which API is being called to load comments...and here's an example:

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/comments.php?api_key=689384617806917&channel_url=http%3A%2F%2Fstaticxx.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter.php%3Fversion%3D42%23cb%3Df14b93e16a1e858%26domain%3Dwww.msn.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.msn.com%252Ff341c6826dcbeb6%26relation%3Dparent.parent&colorscheme=light&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msn.com%2Fen-us%2Fnews%2Ftechnology%2Fready-or-not-smartwatches-are-coming-for-the-mainstream%2Far-BBoCT47&locale=en_US&numposts=10&order_by=social&sdk=joey&skin=light&width=100%25

Hi all.

I know.....it's been a bit since I've been back here to this thread that I started about browsers. But....I found the solution as far as the Firefox browser goes.

As I mentioned in this thread, the Firefox browser is much smoother; its pages load fast and it scrolls better. The issue I had with it? I mentioned that when reading an article from msn.com, that the "Comments/ Conversation" section was not showing up at all.

I found the solution from a post I put up on a Mozilla forum ( Firefox Support • mozillaZine Forums )

Here's the solution as to what was blocking the Comments/ Conversation:

In the Firefox browser, when you click on Tools/ Options, click on the Privacy tab. Under where it says Tracking, there's a check-box next to Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows. Well....UNcheck this box.

Now the Comments/ Conversation section show up :lol:

But....what is still up with the Edge & IE browsers in Windows 10?!?! Besides some slow loading of pages and choppy scrolling with the mouse wheel, what really bugs me is trying to exit out of either of these two browsers. Click on the "X" in the top right-hand corner and what happens? Not much!! :silly: I've repeatedly clicked on it and between 5 and 10 seconds later it finally closes. Gosh, I'm so impatient <sarcasm>
Pez

Back
Top Bottom