win 10

WIn10 is irritating - I don't want it because I have older software on my office PC's that I do not think will work on win10. I did not ask for win10 ,yet windows has no issue putting the icon, etc. on my PC's mislabeling the download as a win7 update. JERKS!

I am afraid the full download will be the same way= NOT giving me the choice to stay with win7.

* if this was discussed on the first page - I apologize. *

WIn10 is irritating - I don't want it because I have older software on my office PC's that I do not think will work on win10.
Win10 performs very well on old systems. Did you actually run the Insider Preview at all? I've been running it on an old Thinkpad T61p (about 8 years old) and it runs quite well on that machine...very smooth. Only stutters occasionally, but I think it's a hardware issue with overheating and an old/slow HDD. Otherwise, booting is super fast, searching from the start menu is fast, etc.

I did not ask for win10 ,yet windows has no issue putting the icon, etc. on my PC's mislabeling the download as a win7 update. JERKS!
Eh? What are you on about? It's an optional thing to do that they're adverising. How else do you suggest they let people know that Win10 is available as a FREE update? I'll never understand why people complain about free stuff.

If you want to get rid of the icon, see my edit to the first post in the Official Win10 Thread: http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/official-windows-10-thread-272708/

I am afraid the full download will be the same way= NOT giving me the choice to stay with win7.
Not sure what you mean...if you don't want Win10, then don't register for the OPTIONAL reservation of Win10. Optional meaning if you don't want it, then don't reserve your copy or install it. You can stay on Win7 - nothing will happen to your copy of Win7. Hell, if you install Win10 and want to revert back to Win7 you can do that as well.

Well- as I said in my post that I had not read the beginning of the thread - and I apologized if that type of info was already posted. So, if you posted how to get rid of the icon on this thread or elsewhere, the auto download prepping for win10 pretending to be a win7 update, etc. then thanks. As per usual you know your stuff and are definitely "Johnny on the spot" . As far as going thru about 20 pages of posts on the official win10 thread to find you post - I have better things to do. And,please note, I did not ask about how to do it- I was just making a comment.

However, your comment about me "going on about" or complaining about "free stuff" - your comments were not necessary. I can give you a whole bunch of junk or garbage - just because it is free doesn't mean you or anybody else actually wants it. But, just like myself- your entitled to your opinion.

In my case: I have software designed just for my type of business and it is old ( I have been in business for 23 years and the original program was designed in "mumps" which I think is like one step after DOS) - the company that makes my program has updated it to work first with XP, then with win7 properly about 2 years ago ( still not fully functional on win 7 like it was on XP ). So , ya- not going to even check if it will run on win10 as the company that I was forced to purchased support from has NOT told me that it is win10 compliant and chances are that if I try the win10 and it "breaks" the software- support will be voided. I have become a firm believer in the old saying, " if it is not broken- don't fix it" regarding software and PC's. Newer is not always better.

Obviously, I could buy new software for my company for about $5000-$10000 , plus the cost of training myself and the staff, and the cost/time of manually inputting old data from 20 years on the old software into the new software. OR I could just stay on WIn7 with my old software which has proven to be very stable, does all I need it to do, etc. . So, ya not a real hard choice. So, no win10 at the office. But I will try it at home.

My initial comment/post ,was just that, nothing else other than I thought putting a their advertisement for new software on my PC without asking is a form of Malware/adware. Give me a break- like Windows would have any difficulty letting the public know that win10 is out and ready? What! Windows doesn't have enough opportunity or cash to let everybody in the world know about win10 without putting it on my PC under a win7 update? I think NOT!

Last edited:
However, your comment about me "going on about" or complaining about "free stuff" - your comments were not necessary. I can give you a whole bunch of junk or garbage - just because it is free doesn't mean you or anybody else actually wants it. But, just like myself- your entitled to your opinion.
Like I said, it's optional. If you don't want to upgrade, then don't upgrade. Ignore it or remove the update. It's not like it's taking up tons of resources just sitting there.

In my case: I have software designed just for my type of business and it is old ( I have been in business for 23 years and the original program was designed in "mumps" which I think is like one step after DOS) - the company that makes my program has updated it to work first with XP, then with win7 properly about 2 years ago ( still not fully functional on win 7 like it was on XP ). So , ya- not going to even check if it will run on win10 as the company that I was forced to purchased support from has NOT told me that it is win10 compliant and chances are that if I try the win10 and it "breaks" the software- support will be voided. I have become a firm believer in the old saying, " if it is not broken- don't fix it" regarding software and PC's. Newer is not always better.

Obviously, I could buy new software for my company for about $5000-$10000 , plus the cost of training myself and the staff, and the cost/time of manually inputting old data from 20 years on the old software into the new software. OR I could just stay on WIn7 with my old software which has proven to be very stable, does all I need it to do, etc. . So, ya not a real hard choice. So, no win10 at the office. But I will try it at home.
You never said you were talking about a business computer. If you're running a business, then you should have a small WSUS server with client computers running at least Win7 Pro so you can control what updates get passed on via group policy. Then you wouldn't even have the update pushed out to the client systems.

Also, as to the part about transferring old data to a new system...that's what custom-developed software is for :) (which is part of what I do at my job, if required - transferring historical data to a new application/system that I've developed).

My initial comment/post ,was just that, nothing else other than I thought putting a their advertisement for new software on my PC without asking is a form of Malware/adware. Give me a break- like Windows would have any difficulty letting the public know that win10 is out and ready? What! Windows doesn't have enough opportunity or cash to let everybody in the world know about win10 without putting it on my PC under a win7 update? I think NOT!

What's cheaper - spending millions in TV, magazine, etc. ads, or pushing out a software update that lets qualifying users know that Windows 10 will be available as a free upgrade. Guarantee people wouldn't see the TV/magazine/internet ads (or just consider them that - ads and not pay attention), and then when the upgrade period ends people would bitch that "they didn't know about the upgrade" or something like that. I've learned that people like to complain no matter what, given any reason.

In my case: I have software designed just for my type of business and it is old ( I have been in business for 23 years and the original program was designed in "mumps" which I think is like one step after DOS) - the company that makes my program has updated it to work first with XP, then with win7 properly about 2 years ago ( still not fully functional on win 7 like it was on XP ). So , ya- not going to even check if it will run on win10 as the company that I was forced to purchased support from has NOT told me that it is win10 compliant and chances are that if I try the win10 and it "breaks" the software- support will be voided.

So, I've never heard of voiding the warranty on software. There usually ISN'T a warranty on software, just a support period. Also, the software has more of a chance in breaking Windows than the other way around. Windows will try to run it and crash if it encounters issues. If it doesn't work, just don't upgrade.

Here's what I would do in your position:

Dedicate ONE computer in the office to be upgraded to Windows 10. Test the software on that computer. By test, I mean use it just like you would any other computer in the office. Try to break it. If it doesn't break then you're good to go. If it does, you can do some simple troubleshooting, such as trying to run the program in compatibility mode.

Newer is not always better.
I have to disagree when it comes to software. Specifically operating systems. The reason being support. Just like in Windows Vista, you can't upgrade to the newest version of Internet Explorer. That is a problem and causes issues with web sites. Windows 7 will start to lose support next.

I understand the position you're in with the expensive proprietary software, but frankly that's a poor business decision. Unless you're a gigantic company that can afford your own software analysts and programmers, there really isn't a whole lot of a reason to customize software. Chances are extremely high that you're not the only person in the type of business that you're in. I would be looking for different software to replace what I've got, especially if they're going to charge you that much to make it compatible with newer operating systems. If you're "warranty" would be void by installing on Windows 10, that means you have support. If you have support, then it's up to them to keep their software compatible. I've not seen many other companies that don't do it that way.

MidnightShadow... I don't think you have dealt with SMB's and third party software contractors often... Most of them write the software a single time, and offer support for a certain length, for that one revision of code. They won't go and re-write the software to be fully compatible for another OS with out payment, and usually the second time around it's more costly as they must make the software compatible with the old software, which takes more time.

Then you run into issues where third party software contractors either die (single dude that bit the dust) or just move on to bigger and better things.

Support =/= writing new batch of code.

Thank you Corrosive- I could not have explained it that well. Yes, this is a proprietary third party software. And the "warranty" is really a support situation and if i tell them I did this or that to the PC 's they will charge me per hour for support to fix it - vs me calling up and saying "hey your software isn't working and I don't know why" - then they help free of charge.

acerinpa, I do encourage you to test the software on a Win10 machine at some point, preferably a machine that isn't a production machine for your compant, I have only ran into one program that wouldn't work on Win10 that worked on XP and Win7, and that's because it was a program that dealt with backing the entire OS up.

This will let you know whether Win10 and the software is compatible, because in about 5-7 years, you are going to have to upgrade, or separate your Win7 machines from the outside world forever.

Well that sounds good in theory ,but I have the software on 2 computers- and I cant download it by myself on another one- you have to have a password sent to you - apparently people were selling the software to their buddies , so the company had to put a stop to that. SO, I cant really "try it" on a different PC other than the ones I use everyday and need to work properly. I guess I could lie to them and say that I had a PC die and purchased a new one so I need to download it to a new PC. But- I wont do that.

remember guys- I am NOT an IT guy, I have no education in programming and self taught the little bit of stuff that I do know.

Back
Top Bottom