Will my primary drive still be recognized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoto512

Baseband Member
Hi People,

My XP installation has been corrupted and I can't reinstall or repair due to BSODs. But I can boot into DOS and still see all my files. I'm thinking of buying a new hard drive, installing WinXP on that drive as the primary drive, and hooking up my current drive as the secondary. My question is: will my current drive be recognized if I do this?

Cheers,

Kyoto

Yes it will be recognized by the other drive. You can then get your information off the drive and format it then transfer the infor back to get rid of the Windows information that you wont need on there.

Yep you should be fine unless that drive is dying and is whats causing the BSOD's. Once you get up and running on the new drive though I would move the data over off the old drive asap.

Also note if you had your XP profiles password protected you will get an "access denied" error when trying to access the files, which you must take ownership of on your new OS/HD. If thats the case let us know and we can show you how to do that.

Thanks guys,

I don't think it's the hard drive that's the problem. Anyway, I think I'll go out and get that new hard drive. Is it possible to run the secondary drive as a mirror drive to the primary? I've decided that that's how I'd like to back up from now on.

Cheers,

Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom