Will Microsoft ever learn ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Will Microsoft ever learn ?

According to the website apcmag “pirates” were able to crack the vista activation server. As you all know every Windows Vista edition has to be activated, even the enterprise editions which was not the case in Windows XP. Imagine a company with thousands of computers all running Windows Vista. It would probably take some time to activate each on its own. The clever folks at Microsoft wanted to make it more comfortable for their business clients and created the so called Key Management Service.

The KMS works as a activation hub for all computers connected to it which means that all Vista editions can be activated at once using the server. To counter abuse the activation is only valid for 180 days and everything needs to be re-activated in that period. The software, scheduled for release next year, apparently got into wrong hands and “pirates” were able to tweak the Key Management Service that way that it would activate the Vista edition without connecting to the Microsoft Activation server at all.

Everything a Pirate needs is now available freely, though illegally, on the internet. You may download a full retail version of Windows Vista with some CD keys and you may download the Key Management Service to activate the edition without Microsoft ever knowing.

This will only work with Business and Enterprise editions and the time limit is still active. I personally think that it is only a matter of time until those nasty “pirates” create a version that activates Vista completely. Another drawback is that you will still be subject to WGA checks if you use services such as Windows Update to update your operating system. Again, only a matter of time for this as well.

Will Vista be less copied than XP ? I don’t think so. Sure activation and WGA could make this happen but it seems that the “pirates” are on step ahead, again.

http://www.ghacks.net/2006/12/07/wil...earn/#more-985

Old 12-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Or you can set your BIOS date to 2099, install, and then change it back and you will have a trial until 2099.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by The General
Or you can set your BIOS date to 2099, install, and then change it back and you will have a trial until 2099.
I know sum1 that did that lol! what an easy trick. Gets all the updates and stuff too.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

sounds like a plan, thanks for the bios tip.

I don't like the word "pirate" though... they don't crew ships or anything.
I like to think of them as "debuggers", because if there is a way to illegally copy software... it is a BUG! Software companies should be smart enough to make it un-crackable.
Case:NZXT Trinity Silver PSU:Apevia Aspire 500W UV Green Motherboard:Asus A8N-SLI CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Video:2x eVga nVidia GeForce 6800XT (256MB DDR) RAM:2Gig (4x512 Corsair TwinX dual channel) HDD:160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA III CD/DVD:LG DVD ROM, NEC 16XDVD+-RW
(\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(='.'=) signature and help him on his way
(")_(") to world domination
Old 12-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

only a matter of time before they get the other versions

\"I may or may not have put a loaf of bread in the dish washer\"
\"Once you go white a trailer is in sight\"
Old 12-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Could you change your BIOS date to 2099 for XP and it will still work?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i think he is talking abtou XP

\"I may or may not have put a loaf of bread in the dish washer\"
\"Once you go white a trailer is in sight\"
Old 12-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

No, I'm talking about Vista ... not XP. XP doesn't have a trial version, besides any copy of XP you'd get off the internet would be pre-cracked anyway.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I mean I do have a copy of XP... but it tells me to register in 30days or i cant use it. I dont wanna ask for advice because i bet thats illegal on this forum on how to crack it.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Quote:
Originally posted by dunkindonughts1
I mean I do have a copy of XP... but it tells me to register in 30days or i cant use it. I dont wanna ask for advice because i bet thats illegal on this forum on how to crack it.
Google is you friend