Wierd issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboomer

Solid State Member
Hey this is really worrying me, I dont want to have it happen again.

My computer is a dual core 3800, 1gb ram (2x512), geforce 7600gts, Asus M2N-E Socket AM2.

I had installed windows, my drivers etc... then began installing games (Lego Star Wars, battlefield 2, Oblivion, Half-life 2, Scarface). Everything was running smoothly. 13 days after I instaleld windows (and 4 days since I installed Oblivion) my system freezes up while playing oblivion. I couldnt alt+ctrl+del, couldnt alt+f4 etc.... so I did a manual restart (button).

After that, windows would hang forever at the loading screen (before - login), even in safe mode, you could see files loading, then it would hang. I attempted to boot from WinXP CD, and after it loaded files off that for a few minutes it displays a error message "Your memory sticks may not be the same / Possible Video Adapter problem".

Now, I know my ram is the same, its worked for 2+ weeks. My video card is good (been playing games) and all my drivers were installed. THe shop said it was a software issue, even though the error said hardware.

Could it have been a driver conflict ? Perhaps the nforce (mobo) drivers and the geforce (video card) drivers BOTH being installed ??? I also have a Creative Labs 7.1 card, and updated those drivers (same time as video card), could anything be interfering ??? I dont want to have this problem again as I just finished puting windows and all my drivers back on (and fewer games :( )

Well it's not your mobo/card drivers conflicting, they're made to work together.
Looks like your specs might be a little weak for Oblivion. I had to amp up my machine to handle that game too.
Make sure you have all the Windows updates (for OS stability only, not as a fix), and the latest drivers for you video card. you may need to install more ram to play oblivion.

sounds like you might have a hardware error, try running memtest86 or windiag to make sure your RAM is ok. Also the graphics Card might be bad even if it has been running ok upto now.

I take it you haven't overclocked anything?

Nothing is overclocked, all the way I got it.

And for Oblivion, the machine has no problems playing it... the game itself recommends 1024x769 @ High Settings + Full HDR when I start it, and runs solid 50fps no hitches in combat. Runs BF2 800x600 @ High Settings (No AA / AF) no lag / hitches either. Even ran F.E.A.R Extraction Point @ 1024x768 High Settings w/ 4x AA, no lag or hitches.

I was just trying to figure out if the shop was right, and it was a software issues on my end, or a screw up on their end with fault hardware (they said it all tested fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom