Why use Windows Server OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have a Windows XP Pro (P4 2.8 GHZ, 2GB PC-2700 RAM, 64mb 9200 Ati) system that I use as a server for my Warcraft 3, Vuze (p2p) and Xbox Media Center. In what case would I need the actual Windows server OS? They look very identical. The computer has been turned on (never been shut down etc..) for over a month now. I turned off the monitor on it so I can just Remote into it from my wireless laptop. I also stream wireless movies and such to my Laptop. I also have an external HDD hooked up to my server.

So Cliff:
1) Why would I need to use Windows Server?
2) What applications could I do on it that I won't be able to do in a regular OS?
3) What Windows server is best for the specs mentioned above?
4) Any other thoughts?

If you needed to setup an office environment with a domain structure and user rights, priviledges and group policies you cannot do that with a desktop OS, you would need a server.

Yes you can run a desktop OS as a database server like you are, putting games, movies and minimal hosting but you could not run a corporate environment where different users have different priviledges. Where users could log into a domain and check email, have specific rights to do things on the server, etc.

Windows Server OS is for true Servers. The ones used to host web content that are access by thousands if not millions of people daily. Not just a few people that have your information. XP can only have 10 connections. Server can have a lot more than that.

Server OS are far more secure, they have better security measures in place, you can limit or add functions as needed, you can remove functions if needed. The list can go on and on.

For your purpose yeah XP is just fine. But for say this site, XP would not cut it. Considering we couldnt even have that many people connect at one time.

A Server OS is not needed for personal use ever.

I keep hearing things about virtual servers. I don't understand their purpose because isn't that just a server os running in a virtual machine?

Means you can have one server, but then run multiple OS's within just one server. A lot of companies do this to save money. Only problem is the more virtual servers you run on a server the less resources all of the instances of the server have to use. This is why you get a really slow load times and crap email when you are using a cheap web server. Because they probably have tons of hosting on just one server (by hosting virtual servers).

You have the right idea mikee, that is what a virtual machine is. Running multiple instances of an OS on the same computer / server. The purpose is to save money because i can now host 1, 2 sometimes a half dozen or more sites on one server because each virtual server is dedicated to one of the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom