why it take a much time when copy a large file in USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

snkhokhar

Solid State Member
When I copy a large space of file i.e 80MB on USB drive, it takes much time, near about 30 minutes.
What's the reason of that, why it take so much time to copied a any large file in USB drive.

Shahid Nawaz

Re:

Hello,

Probably because your USB flash drive isn't USB 2.0, or your USB ports on your PC's motherboard aren't USB 2.0, or both.

USB 2.0 supports theoretical transfer rates of up to 480Mbps. The older USB specification (1.0 / 1.1) only supports theoretical transfer speeds of up to 12Mbps. I say theoretical because the more USB devices connected to your PC, the greater bandwidth being used, which can result in lower speeds. Plus you'll very rarely see speeds as high as 480Mbps being reached.

But still, USB 2.0 is much faster. All devices need to be USB 2.0 compatible, and be High-Speed not just Full-Speed compatible (which some manufacturers stamp on particular USB products, making it easy to mislead).

Difference is a High-Speed device can transfer at USB 2.0 speeds...whereas a device with Full-Speed compatability can be used in a USB 2.0 port, but can only operate at USB 1.0 / 1.1 speeds.

Both the USB hub and devices need to support USB 2.0 High-Speed.

lol you said it

USB 1.1 allowed a maximum transfer rate of 12Mbits/second. It is now obsolete, but both of its speeds (1.5Mbps & 12Mbps) are being adopted into USB 2.0, and they are now called Original USB officially. Though some manufacturers label their products Full-Speed USB. Note that this seems a bit deceptive as it's easy to mistake Full-Speed for Hi-Speed. You won't be fooled from now on as you now aware that Full Speed USB is only 12Mbits/second where Hi-Speed USB mode is capable of a much faster 480Mbits/second( as Alivn said Above ).

You can identify whether your PC has Hi-Speed USB or not relatively easy. Open Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus section. There should be an "Enhanced" USB host controller present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom