Why is My HD So Full and How Can I Clean it Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakabrah

Baseband Member
PC is 3 years old. 30gb HD. It's 98% full. From what? My pics and mp3's are about 10gb. What could the remaing 20gb be? I've tried removing programs and folders but they're all small it hardly makes a dent. Any suggestions??

system restore, temp files, cookies, prefetch folder, etc. You need to run diskcleanup, defrag, delete your prefetch folder, etc. Download CCleaner and run that. then post results.

Did the CCleaner, removed prefetch-cookies-temp files, removed programs I didn't want, folders too. My PC went from 1% available space to 3%, which isn't even enough for a disk defrag.

Also, how do I remove previous system restore points? I also don't know why I have roughy 20gigs of stuff that I can't find to remove. Like I said, audio and pics account for 10 gigs.

Start deleting files man, Theres gotta be something you don't want anymore. When Im done watching a TV series on my computer I delete it to save space its only like 5 GB. Lol

What sort of programs and games have you got. If you've got some of the newer games they eat up space. Also check for hidden partitions. Some OEM's put hidden partitions in, like my laptop has a 6Gb Backup partition (out of a 50Gb HD) put in by the manufacturer.

select more options on disc clean up

SystemRestore.jpg

You guys are the best. Probably the best supported forum out there. I went ahead and just bought an internal 200gig HD, a new 254 video card too. So I'm installing it and will deal with the original HD later. This new HD with rebate from compusa was only $60. Not bad :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom