Why doesn't Windows Update start with sp2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xr280xr

Baseband Member
Hi,
Everytime I install Windows XP, windows update makes me go through every update they've every had. If service pack 2 is cumulative, why doesn't it just let me install that first? I have to do all the updates that came before it before I get the option to download sp2. I have a sp2 cd, but when I used it, it messed up my computer and I had to do a system restore. SP2 is cumulative right? Am I missing something...what's the deal? Thanks!

There are updates before SP2 that needs to be installed first and also there might be updates for your software on your pc like if you run office. Then after you run sp2, there are also updates after it was released. the quickest way around this is to slipstream sp2 in an xp installation

Ok, that answers part of my question. I can use that when I reinstall. I didn't know about that, so thanks!

What about a computer that already has a bunch of software and files on it. I don't want to reinstall, just to update to SP2 withought spending 2-3 hours doing it. What can I do? Can I use the download titled "Windows XP SP2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers"? If so why does it say not to use it for a single comp and to go through windows update?

You can use it anyways. the best way to do this is to slipstream. It will be worth it if you wipe it out and slipstream it rather than just updating as a lot of problems can occur. Doing this will save you a lot of time.

Unfortunately it's not my computer and they don't want to reformat it. I wouldn't really want to either as there's about 50 applications installed on it. I modified my post above while you were writing the previous response...sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom