why does window's robb you of hard drive space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
well...i'm not sure if it's window's...tha's why i'm askin'...

but i've noticed that if you buy a say a 15 gig hd...window's only says you have like 14gig
every single hd iv'e ever had never says what it's listed at in window's...like...i've got a 120 gig now but window's only says it's 111gig....does window's rob you or does the hd manufacturer?

Windows robs you not only of hard drive space. They also rob you of your CPU, memory, and your money :p

-Dan The Man

MichaelStanding said:
Windows? what are you doing running such a low spec program on your machine? I can send you a copy of dos if you want but you will have to register it, cause im not into illegal activities. You'll find your tracking system will run alot more smoother.

WOW, what are you smoking!? The guy's got an AMD Athlon 2800+!!! I think he'll be able to run Windows ANYTHING on that! HAHA :p

-Dan The Man

CntdwnToExtn said:
well...i'm not sure if it's window's...tha's why i'm askin'...

but i've noticed that if you buy a say a 15 gig hd...window's only says you have like 14gig
every single hd iv'e ever had never says what it's listed at in window's...like...i've got a 120 gig now but window's only says it's 111gig....does window's rob you or does the hd manufacturer?
it's because that there is 1,073,741,824 bytes in a gigabyte.
that hard drive is realy 15,000,000,000 bytes,not 15 gigabytes.
its a misleading of hard drive makers.

Re: Re: why does window's robb you of hard drive space?

btv said:

Yes, but it's not really that big of a deal. I mean, I've got an 80GB Maxtor HDD and it really is only 74GB but I mean it's only a 6GB loss, not too bad.

-Dan The Man

Re: Re: why does window's robb you of hard drive space?

btv said:

ohhh, i see so clearly now.
heh, sue for false advertising?? haha j/j

like dan the man said...not that big of a deal...it's still a piss off though thinkin' your gettin' that much and bam...9 gig is knocked off right off the bat.

Major can explain it the best.

they are not false advertising

1 gig is equal to something like 1024 mb

Welcome to the wonderful world of slack space. The issue is a numerical "faux pas". What happens is that your hard drive is measured in base-10 numerals, where 1gb=1000mb, 1mb=1000kb, and so on. This means that 15gb= 1,500,000,000 bytes.
In actuality, the drive should be measured in base-1024 numerals, where 1gb=1024mb, 1mb=1024kb and so on. This would mean that your 15gb drive = 1,572,864,000 bytes.
But as you have seen, this is not the case. Your drive is approximately 15gb give or take a few mb's. You have "lost" some space simply because of a discrepancy between the marketing world and the real world. Also, you lose some space on the drive when you format.
Base-10 numbering is a holdover from the old days when it was easier to just label a 1gb drive as a "1gb drive". After all, the consumer only "lost" 48mb in the process.
That's not much when you think about it, right? But when you add up all those 48mb chunks across an "15gb" drive, you get 720mb of actual space that has been "lost".
it is a little confusing to some, but just remember that a drive rated in the base-10 scale will always be smaller than the advertised specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom