Why does a PC turn itself off - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Why does a PC turn itself off

Hi,

I havea prob with Pc. It loads up fine, no probs then all a sudden decides it has had enough, logs itself off, closes all apps and shuts down. Checked for virus's etc. but none there with newest Defs.

So why is this happening? Anyone?

Old 07-18-2005, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

new build, new parts or something? could be PSU, could be something with advanced power management or bios setting, is it shutting of or restarting... go into event viewer check there also goto startup and recovery in system properties advanced tab and remove check mark from restart after system failure. Could be temp related, too. Hardware compatability problem, depends. What was the last thing you did and also list what event viewer might show around that time and if removing the restart from recovery see if you can get an error and post it here.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 07-18-2005, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Static_11 Send a message via Yahoo to Static_11

my opinion is the temp or cant it be the MOBO too?? since instead of restarting he said taht it shut down.. ??
Old 07-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Did you get on the net and a box pops up and reads restarting in so many seconds?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

bad psu or boot sector virus or power is set up this way in display properties
Old 07-18-2005, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Memberbot

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
Did you get on the net and a box pops up and reads restarting in so many seconds?
From the way that Mouse Potato described the problem, Warez's idea was the closest. There is no way that a faulty PSU could close down all apps, etc. A faulty PSU will turn a computer off instantly.

Warez's idea was something along the lines of the Sasser Worm, among others that automatically turn your computer off.

The best way to combat worms is to go to the Windows Update website and download all of the latest security patches. Plus employing a firewall will also help to keep worms out.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 07-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry not to reply sooner,

thanks for all your advice, I will try it out.

Again thanks for taking the time out to help / advise people, appreciate it

-MP
Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Seems like your PC is gettign too hot.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 07-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

lol its me getting too hot, got keyboard dints in my forehead.

Checked power settings in control panel..all good
updated virus defs .. all good
windows update done ...only 1 update

and still it switches off, I even done the Grrr and bite the fist move and threaten it but alas
Old 07-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Elbatrop1
From the way that Mouse Potato described the problem, Warez's idea was the closest. There is no way that a faulty PSU could close down all apps, etc. A faulty PSU will turn a computer off instantly.

Warez's idea was something along the lines of the Sasser Worm, among others that automatically turn your computer off.

The best way to combat worms is to go to the Windows Update website and download all of the latest security patches. Plus employing a firewall will also help to keep worms out.
Actually that is what you usually call a boot sector virus. it is also a lot harder to catch with an A/V. Kaspersky labs it the only av people that specialize in cacthing those type of viruses.

http://www.kaspersky.com/removaltools

Closed Thread