Why does one of my HD's not "Show up" anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soar,

Linux LiveCD's is not that much different than running Windows. Ubuntu is a close open source version. Yeah there are some things that are different, but for the most part it isnt that hard to navigate.

As for your 2nd question...you cant spread hard drive corruption. ;) It isnt a virus.

Soar,

Linux LiveCD's is not that much different than running Windows. Ubuntu is a close open source version. Yeah there are some things that are different, but for the most part it isnt that hard to navigate.

As for your 2nd question...you cant spread hard drive corruption. ;) It isnt a virus.

Mak,

Ok, I will give it a try!

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit after formating the old Windows 7 RC partition and it worked just fine [this is on a completely different and healthy HD]! During the install process Windows showed that the corrupted HD I would like to recover has 900 GB of data still on it.

So I left more data on the drive than I realized. I think most of it was backed up on my other computer so perhaps it isn't too much of a losss. I downloaded Linus LiveCD last night and I will give it a shot when I return home later today!

Thanks again everyone!

Soar

Soar,

Mak,

Ok, I just now was able to read the Linux's LiveCD info sheet.

Sorry about the long delay, but I have been too busy...

I still feel kind of lost because Linux's website is using terms I have never heard ever before.

Here is the site I have been attempting to understand:

Linux Live for CD & USB

Can you or anyone else here help me to understand how to be able to recover some of the data on the HD that was corrupted on my computer?

I think I am to burn an ISO file of this Linux Live CD, yet I still feel quite confused and at times totally lost when it comes to aufs kernel module and squashfs kernel modules...dude, what planet do these aliens hail from?

I would appreciate any and all help on this matter.

It's me,

Soar

Just get Ubuntu. It is by far the easiest one to use. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from it.

Just get Ubuntu. It is by far the easiest one to use. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from it.

Mak,

Thanks again!

Wow! I tried what you said [download Ubuntu, burn an iso, then boot with it], and my wife and I are so amazed!

Mak, we had over 1 terabyte of family photos, movies, etc. that would have been completely lost if you did not help us. Remember, I had the Black Screen of Death in Windows Vista and that left me unable to boot from that drive or even access that drive due to corruption. Now I can see everything on that drive and I think I can transfer all items from that HD to an external HD, then wash the corrupt HD, and then use it again!!!

Mak, we do not take lightly what you are doing here at computer tech forums.

You have helped us in a tremendous way over and over again and I would like to say thank you again from the bottom of my heart!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Mak, and thank you, thank you, thank you a million times over!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom