Why does my PC crash during Rendering 3D Scenes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrigil

Beta member
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why my PC constantly crashes when it is doing something fairly intensive (but not excessively so)?

If I try rendering or creating 3D scenes on one of my computers (using C4D) it works fine but when I try using exactly the same file on the problem PC it is really really slow. The CPU is 1.8Ghz, 1Gb Ram, LeadTek WinFast 128Mb Graphics card. I realise the graphics card isn't that good but it is 128Mb and it is OpenGL. This is the second graphics card I've tried as the initial one was 64Mb. It is a bit better since the swap.

The computer has been reformatted/clean install on a faster HDD etc but with no improvement.

Do you think I need to buy a branded Graphics Card such as ATI, NVidia or Matrox etc?

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Chris

It sounds like you simply do not have enough ram, and/or your video card is not enough. What are the full specs of the system that it works on? What kind of CPU is it, Intel or AMD? What does your GFX card have for a chipset?

Hi thanks for the response,

My complete system is below. I'm sure I have enough RAM and I've never had any Problems with the processor before but I'd be glad to hear your thoughts:

AMD 2200XP
1Gb Ram (Don't know the brand)
WinFast LeadTek 128Mb GFX GeForce4 MX440 Chipset (I think: http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/download.asp?downlineid=10&downline=Geforce4 A180 series)
Motherboard ID: 02/14/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BLB9C-00
Motherboard Name: Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18D / K7NCR18D Pro / K7NCR18DM / K7NCR18DLM (The ID and Name was found using Aida32)

I don't know if the Mobo & GFX info means anything to you or not?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Gilbert

I'm going to go ahead and say that it is your video card. Thats not the most top of the line card, and I would almost go as far as to say that it is near bottom of the line. That card is not too capable of doing 3d rendering. It's really not capable of much, you could barely play Doom3 on their let alone to 3d rendering. Your card is holding you back my friend.

Yeah thats what I thought. I'm not much of a game player so I just opted for the cheapest one I could find with 128Mb of RAM.

I've looked on the Maxon website (the producers of C4D) and they suggest this card as being Certified by Maxon.

ATI Fire GL 8800 (http://www.maxon.net/pages/support/gfx_e.html).

It too doesn't look too brilliant but I can get it for £50 and if it's Certified it can't be too bad. Can it?

What do you reckon?

Chris.

For somethign like that, you dotn want to cheap out. The card you got for 50, is what you paid for. You need good cards, specially made for 3d rendering. Nvidia has the Quadro series, and they are quite expensive but they are killer cards. I would at least go for a 6600GT or so, possibly even more. I cant really comment too much on it though, I'm not an expert with graphics. Maybe we could get someone else in on this that knows whats up with 3d rendering and the applicable hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom