Why does iTunes run so slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
I have an iPod so I like to use iTunes to manage my iPod but over time I have noticed that iTunes had been becoming slower and slower to run. Other programs run fine, Firefox runs great, windows media player, even TE IV Oblivion runs better then iTunes. My computer may not be that good but it should be MORE then enough to run a simple program such as iTunes because it Has 2.5GB DDR RAM, and my CPU is at 1.87 (or somthing) GHz. Can anyone help me find what is causing iTunes to run so slow?

Hello,

The reason for this is simple. iTunes is a Mac application. It is optimized to run on OS X. It is just ported to run on Windows. It is not optimized to run on Windows.

So for every update done it gets increasingly slowin on Windows to run iTunes cause Apple makes no effort to make it run faster on Windows. They just port it over from OS X like they did with Safari and Quicktime and let it be.

Cheers,
Mak

Lesson to be learned....dont buy an ipod. Buy a REAL mp3 player that doesnt require a stupid apple program just to copy over your music. Iriver ftw.

iTunes has always been bloated and buggy..on every system that I've ran it on. I can't stand to use it at all. Dump it, and try a different program to manage the songs on your iPod.

Or take Veedub's advice ;). I like my Sansa and my Zune, though personally :D.

ipod is the best media player out there. I can directly hook it up to both of my car's radio's directly (where I can access names, styles, playlists etc.) you can't do that with the others

just use anapod explorer or winamp to add your music to it. anapod has the best organization but it isn't free

I can hook up my Zune to my radio and get all that stuff as well Eric. ;)

iPods are not the only ones that car manufacturers design for now. Ford develops for the Zune and Microsoft. Even in my Civic i can get all my info just as i could with a iPod.

So saying you cant do that with others isnt accurate anymore. As my Zune with my 2008 Civic does jsut that.

But i do agree that Anapod Explorer is the best software to use with the iPods. I have bought it only for the reason of that. Even though i dont own a iPod i still work with several of them. It is by far the best software to use.

Cheers,
Mak

my whole point on that was not to knock the zunes, but to show that they (and other media players) are always playing catch up to ipod. Ipod had this feature for over 5 years now. zune is just getting it and it only works on a few decks and it won't work on a aftermarket player unless that aftermarket player has the ability to read hdd files. nobody makes just a zune ready car radio. most new car radios are ipod only ready

I get tired of all of the ipod haters who posts "that's why you should not get the ipod".

there are 2 kind of people in this world. ipod lovers and ipod haters. there are no tweeners. the h8ers don't realize that if it weren't for the ipod they would not have a mp3 and mp4 player to hate with. yes creative made a player before the ipod. but nobody bought it (or even knew that it existed). the ipod started a revolution.

also ipod is always the player with the newest technology. zune didn't make the first video player. zune didn't make the first iphone or wifi player. as a matter of fact. ms wait for the ipod to get a new feature, then they copy it but they will have somebody in court in a minute if they try that stuff on them

Eric,

I see your point. I can say that i am a ipod hater as well i dont own one. I love my Zune and see no reason to switch. But i have worked with at elast 100 of them and they are nice.

But you are right. The mp3 players now are playing catchup. Almost any car made in the last 5 years will work with a ipod no extras required.

But jsut as there are ipod lovers and haters there is Zune lovers and haters. Just as much bad stuff can be said of ipods as there can be of Zune.

Zune had the WiFi feature before the iPod. Granted not full WiFi to use to gain access to the internet. It was only used between Zunes. But then the iPod put it on. So apple took what M$ did and went further with it.

Plus the iPhone isnt the first one either. I had a MP3 player on my phone long before the iPhone was released.

So the arguement can go anyway. It just comes down to which device you like more.

I am just trying to say that while the iPod maybe the first. They are not the only ones now. That is all i am saying. I am not trying to spark up a argument over which is better. They both have their strong points. I prefer my Zune. You prefer the iPod. We can go back and forth till time ends which is better and never have a clear winner.

Cheers,
Mak

Eric,

I see your point. I can say that i am a ipod hater as well i dont own one. I love my Zune and see no reason to switch. But i have worked with at elast 100 of them and they are nice.

But you are right. The mp3 players now are playing catchup. Almost any car made in the last 5 years will work with a ipod no extras required.

But jsut as there are ipod lovers and haters there is Zune lovers and haters. Just as much bad stuff can be said of ipods as there can be of Zune.

Zune had the WiFi feature before the iPod. Granted not full WiFi to use to gain access to the internet. It was only used between Zunes. But then the iPod put it on. So apple took what M$ did and went further with it.

Plus the iPhone isnt the first one either. I had a MP3 player on my phone long before the iPhone was released.

So the arguement can go anyway. It just comes down to which device you like more.

I am just trying to say that while the iPod maybe the first. They are not the only ones now. That is all i am saying. I am not trying to spark up a argument over which is better. They both have their strong points. I prefer my Zune. You prefer the iPod. We can go back and forth till time ends which is better and never have a clear winner.

Cheers,
Mak

they all have pro and cons. the best player is the one that you are using. I wasn't directing anything at you. I came to the defense of the "don't buy an ipod " statement. I'm on my fifth one. 2 of my kids each had one and they got stolen. my other daughter got hers wet and fried it. I still have my 2 ipod video (I don't even watch the videos either).

As Mak said, iTunes is optimised to run on OS X and not Windows, meaning that Apple don't pay too much attention to making sure iTunes runs perfectly on Windows, instead they work on making it better for OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom