Why am i missing 3 gigabytes of free space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Baseband Member
I only have less than 200mb left on my c drive, but when i open c: on my computer adn select everything there, it says all the files and folders take up only 16gb. My computer is 19gb. I cant figure out why all this space is taken up!

windows page file could be part of it check how big that is set to.also a little is lost during formatting the drive.

Unfortunately this happens more than microsoft would like to admit. Sometimes the calculation of files and folers are misrepresented b/c of explorer problems. You should clear all your offline files and folders, clear the temps and cache. Then defrag your machine... This might work for you.

You are, regarless of the fix, in desparate need of a bigger HD. Go buy a new HD. HIgh capacity drives are currently very inexpensive!!

RicoDirenzo said:
You are, regarless of the fix, in desparate need of a bigger HD. Go buy a new HD. HIgh capacity drives are currently very inexpensive!!

so true...

ugh, something to do with the binary convestion that ms uses....

you lost a certain amount of bytes for each meg or something like that in the conversion it uses.

also, isn't it really bytes tha's advertised?
like it's actually 19million bytes?
ugh, i can't think right today....crip, i coudn't even think what the "S" stood for in SDRAM this morning in my lab......:tard:

i learned the hard drive thing last week in my hardware class...but...go figure i can't remeber it today

What's your OS?
if it's ME, 98 or below, go to:
C:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5

if it's 2000 or XP, go to
C:\documents and settings\[user name]\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5

and delete what's in them

also go to C:\Windows\Temp
and delete what's in that

well, how about the fact that files below 4MB actually take up 4MB of space (assuming that's your cluster size!)? are those counted towards the total space? still shouldn't make that much of a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom