Why am I dual booting on only one partition!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaspardividian

Solid State Member
I installed Win2K on an old PC and selected new install from the install menu, and now my HD has even less room on it than it did before the install and it asks me if want to run Windows or Windows 2000 Professional at start up. Did it install the new one and is waiting for me to uninstall the original? How can I reclaim my HD? It is a 6GB HD and Win2K should not use much of that, so my old junk must still be there somewhere, right?

kaspardividian

This can sometime happen when you install Win2k/XP from the DOS prompt. Edit your boot.ini file and remove the option of booting to the copy of Windows you don't want. Then, since you installed Win2k, it should be in the C:\WINNT directory, so you can safely delete C:\WINDOWS which contains your old version. This is why its really better to do a fresh format.

beedubaya said:
This can sometime happen when you install Win2k/XP from the DOS prompt.

The dual-boot menu is usually created when you install another version of Windows OS while you are booted up in another windows OS.

kaspardividian, there was obviously another windows OS already installed on this PC. When you popped in your W2K CD, you must have been already booted up in probably Win98 or ME. During the installation, there is an option for you to tell W2K which partition/directory to install the OS to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom