whoooah - backup - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default whoooah - backup

ok dudes - has anyone got any insight into the best way to backup using xp - I have 3 pc's in network - 2 have large enough HDD to have logical backup partitions, so that spread over both is a copied version of each C:/ if you see what I mean, but I cannot just copy Doc's and Settings as a whole lump to get all the users data, as I am obviously logged on and my ntuser.dat file cannot be copied while in use. So any good advice on XP built in backup - 'cos I've heard it isn't brill - should I look for something else - I have Partition Magic and Norton Ghost and HdClone - are any of these good for the job - I don't want to copy the OS, just the users data.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

the thing is - I don't want to recopy all the 10's of Gig that is already backed up each time, just new files and one's that have changed. Doe the xp .bkf file provide this, otherwise I might aswell just clone the drive and re-do this each time.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Best thing is to share a folder on one PC (main) and get all users to save any doc's to that. In the back up you tell Windows to back that folder up to another hard drive. Make it so when it backs up to replace the old one. (have at lease 2 or 3 to go back on). Ntback up is easy to use (I think) and its free.
I\'m not your Google Butler!
Closed Thread