where to start?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
my desktop has been moving just slightly faster than a snail lately. so i need to do some things to get the tar out of it. but i am not sure where to start. i have run the usual maintenance programs ( avast antivirus, superantispyware, advanced system care, malware bytes, and spybot. but they are not helping this. so i do not think its spyware, virus, or any of the like bogging it down. i remember hearing that the drivers need to be updated periodically. these have not been updated in about 3 years, unless the computer does them automatically. if i remember correctly, they come from the computer manufacturer. but that is hearsay to me. i also remember hearing that many of the downloaded programs can interfere with each other. how do i check that? start uninstalling them one at a time??? the one thing that i do notice, is that the cpu (according to the gadget anyway) runs in the 75-100% range a lot of the time. my computer is an old HP a1720n. it runs an Intel core duo 6300 @ 1.87ghz (which i know IS a snail by today's standard, but this seems like it is running near 1/2 of a ghz), has 3gb of ram, and is vista home premium o.s.. i would just like to get it back to being itself.

Do some research on your PC - what specifically is eating up your resources? Can you look at task manager and see what is using the most resources?

Also go into msconfig and go to the startup programs - disable all programs except the ones you want to start with windows.

Get rid of Advanced System Care and Spybot.

Do you have the Pro version of MBAM that has the active scanner? If so, that could possibly be a resource hog (or even possibly conflicting with Avast).

Otherwise, like Lex said, go thorugh msconfig -> startup tab and disable programs from startup (minus apps you want, necessary apps, and your AV).

Also go through your Programs & Features list and uninstall any programs you don't use anymore. If you're not sure if you should uninstall it or not, just post a list of ones you're not sure of and we can look into it as well.

i went thru last night, and uninstalled several programs. that has helped. there must have been conflicts, or they just used a lot of resources all of the time that i was not aware of. i will not say my computer is fast, but it has gone from a rock crawlwer to a 4x4 pickup in 2nd gear. (from 2mph to 15 mph out of 100 mph). as far as turning off programs in start up. the problem with that is i have no idea which ones are necessary to let the computer opperate. since the only account in this machine is the administrator account, it will let me do things that i maybe should not do. there are at least half a dozen programs listed in the programs listing, that i can not remove, and i have no idea what they are for. there is a part of me that believes they are malicious, but i really do not know. they are as follows,[ BufferChm, CustomerResearchOFolder, Destinations, DeviceManagementOFolder, eSupportOFolder, MarketResearch, Status, Toolbox, TrayApp, UnloadSupport, WebReg ]. some of these look like they may belong (TrayApp, ToolBox), but the rest look suspicious to me. i have tried uninstalling them, but it will not let me. there is also no Publisher, Installed on, or file size data on any of these. also, Spybot was one of the programs that i was going to remove. but it came up with a warning box, saying that the program saved restore points, and if i remove the program, i would not be able to go back and undo any of the changes it had made. i also do not know what will happen to the malicious software that is has quarantined.

Glarysoft Utilities program does a great job cleaning up extra files etc & the reason people tell you that your programs might be interfering is because 2 antimalware or antivirus software put together dont work very well and can do more negative than positive for your pc.:)

i went thru last night, and uninstalled several programs. that has helped. there must have been conflicts, or they just used a lot of resources all of the time that i was not aware of. i will not say my computer is fast, but it has gone from a rock crawlwer to a 4x4 pickup in 2nd gear. (from 2mph to 15 mph out of 100 mph). as far as turning off programs in start up. the problem with that is i have no idea which ones are necessary to let the computer opperate. since the only account in this machine is the administrator account, it will let me do things that i maybe should not do. there are at least half a dozen programs listed in the programs listing, that i can not remove, and i have no idea what they are for. there is a part of me that believes they are malicious, but i really do not know. they are as follows,[ BufferChm, CustomerResearchOFolder, Destinations, DeviceManagementOFolder, eSupportOFolder, MarketResearch, Status, Toolbox, TrayApp, UnloadSupport, WebReg ]. some of these look like they may belong (TrayApp, ToolBox), but the rest look suspicious to me. i have tried uninstalling them, but it will not let me. there is also no Publisher, Installed on, or file size data on any of these. also,

Post a screenshot of your msconfig window's Startup tab. Expand the "Startu Item" and "Command" columns as much as possible so that we can read a majority of it.

Spybot was one of the programs that i was going to remove. but it came up with a warning box, saying that the program saved restore points, and if i remove the program, i would not be able to go back and undo any of the changes it had made. i also do not know what will happen to the malicious software that is has quarantined.

Pretty sure that just means "internal restorepoints", i.e. ones the program set itself. It won't do anything with Windows Restore Points. As for the quarantined items...they should get deleted upon uninstall. If not, you can find out where the quarantine is and remove it manually.

Post a screenshot of your msconfig window's Startup tab. Expand the "Startu Item" and "Command" columns as much as possible so that we can read a majority of it.

gladly, just tell me how to do that. because i have no idea.

Just disable all startup programs. Nothing in there will be critical for the machine to run. The e6300 is long in the tooth, but decent as an internet driver. I wouldn't expect much more than "ok" performance out of it lately though. Honestly if you can I would just format and start from scratch only installing the programs you use regularly. Don't run too many background tasks either.

i know that a good part of this is background tasks. it seems as if they have a higher priority than what i want to do. another potential problem, is that i still have to share this with the kids sometimes. which is a big part of my reluctance to take it to a computer technician. i am sure that someone who knows what they are doing could make this buzz along like it was new. the last time, it worked that way. for one day. then my wife downloaded some ridiculous coupon program, which came with a mess of junk, and it has not been the same since. one day for $130.00 is not a good value. and that is no ones fault but my families. learning how to take better care of this (well, all of the computers) is something i have to do. when we get my sons gaming computer done, his desktop will become my daughters. then everyone in the house will have their own, and i can lock this down like evidence in a police station!

Back
Top Bottom