Where to set rights/permssions in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

godai73

Baseband Member
Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me. I did a search on this forum for my question, but could not find the answer.

This is my problem. I just built a new computer and installed XP professional on it. I have a small network at home and I added this computer to this network. I have 2 other computers at home with windows 2000. When I right click on a folder on my new computer to share a folder, it does not give me the option to add and remove certain users from the folder? It was easier in Windows 2000 and NT. I went into Help for XP and it did not tell me where I can do that? Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance.

when you settup the folder to be shared it should have asked you how you wanted to set it up. You can set it up with a password that would limit the access to anyone that you give the password to.

I am logged in as a user with admininstrative rights. When I right click on the folder choose Sharing and Security a box appears with 2 sections.

The first section has a box that should allow me to check it and it says 'Make this folder private'. For some reason, it does not let me check it.

The second section has 2 boxes that let me check them and they say 'Share this folder on the Network' and 'Allow network users to change my files'. There is no option/button that I can find to add users (or remove users) to have access to this folder.

With Windows 2000, they have that option. Thanks though.

godai73 open "my computer" and select tools> folder options. uncheck the very last box to enable "simple file and folder sharing". you now have access to all the sharing options as win2000.

ah, that worked perfectly, ekÆsine. thanks for your help. why would you suppose they would hide it like that?

because microsoft assumes everyone is a total moron. they have many hand-holding features besides this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom