Where else can I find recycle bin if I removed it from the desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I removed the recycle bin from my desktop via gpedit.

start - run - gpedit.msc - user config - admin templates - desktop - remove recycle bin icon from desktop - "enabled"

But I know I have items in the recycle bin. I'd like to empty it.

Where is a second location I can find the recycle bin at in order to empty it?

Method #1:

Right-click an empty area of your desktop
Select Properties
Click the Desktop tab
Click the Customize button
Click Restore Default
Exit all windows and restart your computer
Method #2:

Note: Be sure to make a backup copy of your registry prior to making any changes.

Go to Start>> Run. Type in: regedit [Enter]

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

Hold the mouse on NameSpace and right-click once. From the resulting menu, select Edit>> New>> Key

Copy and Paste the following Key code (including the brackets):

{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Press Enter on your keyboard, exit the registry editor and restart your system.

Should really right click on the Recycle Bin and have items get directly removed from teh PC if you are going to remove the Bin from your desktop. ;)

I used TweakUI to remove it from mine.

Should really right click on the Recycle Bin and have items get directly removed from teh PC if you are going to remove the Bin from your desktop. ;)

I used TweakUI to remove it from mine.

Not sure I follow you, so I'm going to reword what you said for further clarification...

I should set up my recycle bin so it automatically deletes everything that is sent to it. Therefore, I cannot "retrieve" anything from the recycle bin if I accidentally delete it.

Well basically yes. What is the point of removeing the only spot for the recycle bin if you have to bring it back everytime you want to empty it? Kinda defeats the purpose of removing it from the desktop.

I mean you dont accidently delete a file. There is a prompt that asks you after you click Delete that says "Are you sure you want to delete this file?" If you still delete the file after hitting delete and clicking yes without realizing that you need the file. Sorry but it deserves to be lost. I dont mean to sound rude or anythign but that is the truth. You get 2 chances to save the file. If you mess up both well you cant blame the PC. ;)

Or you can just hard delete with shift+delete and not tinker with anything. I never use the recycle bin.

Well basically this is what i do esentially. I have the files get directly deleted and not moved to the recycle bin. So i do what you do but i dont have to hit shift. ;)

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if recycle bin was accessible elsewhere, like perhaps by a run command or through another menu in the control panel. Hence why I asked...

It makes me nervous to hard delete stuff, for some reason. I can't imagine I'd intentionally delete anything but I can just imagine if I go to rename something and bump enter... bam...

edit - new question. Is there anyway I can remove text from the icons? I just changed my recycle bin icon to the small black box looking thing... if I can get the text to be removed from the icon that'd be sweet. If not, I'll just deal with the small black square in the lower right corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom