Where does XP2 download to

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanB

Baseband Member
Hi, I download SP2 but didn't have enough space to finish the install. Which directory did the update site download the XP2 setup files so I can delete it and regain my hard disc space again. What tools do you recommend to search your disc and remove uneccessary files.

It doesn't install to anywhere as far as I know. I think it just replaces and overwrites files. If you want to get rid of it you will have to uninstall it, but if it isn't fully installed and you can't do that, then I have no idea. I would think it would check for adequite disk space before it installed, but with microsoft you never know.

It has used up alot of disc space. The progress bar showed it had downloaded all the files, it was when it wanted to install those files that it said insuffiecent disk space. If those files aren't just downloaded somewhere first then I guess I will have to reformat again.

it should only take up a couple hundred mb at most, you really should be keeping free space on your hard disk anyways.

True, I was running a minimum XP setup on a dedicated HTPC. It has one 200Gb Seagate HD and I had partitioned of most of that for storing media. I hade 4Gb for the operating system and program files with about 500Mb free but since I got it on the net and downloaded all the updates and then SP2 (I can't help myself) I have 34Mb left.

usually its a temp cache when installing. some installation contains only directors that finish up the installation by downloading and dynamically updating core system files (dll's) and then it cleans up the temp files either when its done or during a crash/install halt/reboot. you have to actually choose a save location instead of just running from the current location if you want to save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom