Where do you see Microsoft going in the next few years - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN
Default Where do you see Microsoft going in the next few years

With all this spyware aimed toward microsoft products, and with longhorn coming out, where do you guys see them going? Do you guys think that Microsoft will thrive or someone else will come out with a better more reliable o/s?

Discuss.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 07-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I just don't see it happening, microsoft holds a majority of the OS field and almost everything we use is Windows Based. They control too much for it to just change. Although I hate Windows I'm practically forced to use it wherever I go, home, work, and on the road. Software is designed solely for Windows and until an OS comes out that has the capability of running 100% of Window's software then maybe something will change.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

I think if Microsoft keeps on its present course, they will lose the business market, because all businesses care about is productivity, reliability, and just a simple OS to use and get tasks done. They don't care about all the media integration that mostly only home users care about.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member (again)

Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

I think that the home market may not suffer for a while if Microsoft continues this way, but a number of big businesses will switch to Unix or Linux. Look at Lowe's; they have recently switched from MS-DOS and Windows to Linux.

Debian Support Forums!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Yep...no real competition and you get lazy and arrogant and become a living example of why the anit-trust lawsuit brought by Netscape could have changed the landscape of efficient competition in operating systems if the courts weren't "owned" by Bill Gates!!!! Until there is real competition isn the OS world........it will continue to be SP2 hell and Blue Screen physical memory dump purgatory!!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Thumbs up

same place they are now, on top of the world.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

They will take over the world.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

one of the hardest thing to change is programming language and preferred OS.. Linux/Unix is just too different from MS windows to be considered by many people, people will continue to live with the insecurity also the convenience of not hunting down most drivers..

When we will change if microsoft doesn't change it's way? well, i see two generations before everyone realizes how crappy Windows is at it's current state.. first, we need old ppl who are die hard MS fans to die (no offence there).. as younger generation is about 40% heard of Linux and heard it's hype, about 10% of those will switch (i'm just pulling these numbers out of no where.. so don't quote me on those.. but they seem reasonable ).. i'm sure by the second generation, Microsoft will start to loose it's footing, and linux will gain a critical mass to rave driver support (slowly gaming support..).. my guess at a critical mass is 25% market share (still a long way..)

wow that was alot of ranting.. my point is, MS will continue to dominate like it did for the last ten years.. but it will loose it's footing slowly and surely so prob in two generations, you will see all of us running linux
browse with: opera
Old 07-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

It's about two things: Money and politcal power...without competition, there is no incentive to do anything other than S.O.S. I'm an "older" person and have disliked microsolft ever since Mr. Gates ripped off the Atari OS which was clean and substituted it with "windows"..................ME was an example of just how rediculous this arrogant company is! Heck...we all still running on base memory of 640. All the rest is extended! LOL!!! Microsoft will not change until someone big comes along with a better product. And that would be?????? Sure as heck isn't Linux. It doesn't matter who is aware of what. It's about power and money.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

Great thread so far!! Great opinions!

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Closed Thread