When you need portable data storage - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: When you need portable data storage

I would liek to say that I went out last week-end and purchaseda 160gb Western Digital HDD and it work excellent. Thanks for all the great advice.

I also learned the difference between an external HDD used for desktops and those that are used for porting data with you. The difference being that the portable ones require only one connection, a USB port. The ones ment for HD backup require both the USB and an electrical connection.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I also learned the difference between an external HDD used for desktops and those that are used for porting data with you. The difference being that the portable ones require only one connection, a USB port. The ones ment for HD backup require both the USB and an electrical connection.
I think that mostly just has to do with the power consumption of the drive. I've noticed that some of the ones that require only a USB will require two USB connections to provide enough power to the drive. They usually try to engineer portable drives to minimize these constraints, but it all boils down to drive efficiency. i.e., a Hitachi HD will need less power than a WD Raptor.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

My new passport requires only one USB connection. I guess the boys at Western Digital havegot the power consumption problem down a bit.

Closed Thread