When you need portable data storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would liek to say that I went out last week-end and purchaseda 160gb Western Digital HDD and it work excellent. Thanks for all the great advice.

I also learned the difference between an external HDD used for desktops and those that are used for porting data with you. The difference being that the portable ones require only one connection, a USB port. The ones ment for HD backup require both the USB and an electrical connection.

I also learned the difference between an external HDD used for desktops and those that are used for porting data with you. The difference being that the portable ones require only one connection, a USB port. The ones ment for HD backup require both the USB and an electrical connection.

I think that mostly just has to do with the power consumption of the drive. I've noticed that some of the ones that require only a USB will require two USB connections to provide enough power to the drive. They usually try to engineer portable drives to minimize these constraints, but it all boils down to drive efficiency. i.e., a Hitachi HD will need less power than a WD Raptor.

My new passport requires only one USB connection. I guess the boys at Western Digital havegot the power consumption problem down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom