What's up with windows 8 Hdmi and Dolby Digital

EricB

Chillin Techie
I've put windows 8 on 3 of my machines and lost my 7.1 options on Hdmiand is stuck on 2.0. Since they put hdmi on the video cards now, I took all of my expensive sound cards out of my machines and got Nice receivers that take Hdmi for simple clean sound and to get rid of a lot of expensive cable.

My media server card was was old (Radeon 2400), so I didn't expect new support for that. I replace it and took one card that I bought from last year out of another machine to put on my media server. I did a new build 2 weeks ago and SPECIFIED that I need a video card that had 7.1 support for windows 8. they give me one (a Radeon 5450). Well I'm in the same boat with that card. only 2.0 sound

The weird thing is I have 2 IDENTICAL video cards (2 Radeon 6450) that I bought last year for this issue. Now on one machine it only give me the 2.0 option but on the other, it give me Dolby Digital, Dts and some other options. Well at the very least I glad that that is my media server computer. I still wondering why I got that option on one machine and not the other and why the new card isn't giving me the option at all.

I had changed all of my card from Nvidia to radeons over the years because nvidia didn't support 7.1 through Hdmi back then (I'm not sure about now)

Help me out folks

Back
Top Bottom