What's a small, free OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might just have found some old 650MB ones, I just grabbed some from my mum's study :p

Well I'm d/ling the main edition and it's 697 MB. The CD I have is 700 MB lol. Is that cutting it too close?

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm going with the DSL, It's only temporary until I get windows 7. DSL have internet explorer or something similiar? Bout to find out.

RE-EDIT: Well scratch that too, I try the DSL and it comes up with "dsl knoppix filesystem not found". I've read up on it and it seems it uses an outdated Kernal, which doesn't boot on newer hardware configurations?

Ok if you have a copy of the Windows XP CD then look up PE Builder, its a CD-ROM based OS, doesnt change anything on the hard drive, im not sure if it will help but you can always give it a shot, good luck

I have to admit that I'm a tech newbie. BUT I may have figured out why no OS is booting/installing (including Windows 7 initially). Could it be that I need to change my BIOS settings???

Well I'm d/ling the main edition and it's 697 MB. The CD I have is 700 MB lol. Is that cutting it too close?

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm going with the DSL, It's only temporary until I get windows 7. DSL have internet explorer or something similiar? Bout to find out.

RE-EDIT: Well scratch that too, I try the DSL and it comes up with "dsl knoppix filesystem not found". I've read up on it and it seems it uses an outdated Kernal, which doesn't boot on newer hardware configurations?

Question: why not try Ubuntu, just curious. It uses Firefox, has the latest kernel release, and has a large support community. All free just as any other linux distro, yet it has a lot of features to help new people to Linux, relatively speaking in comparison to other Linux distros which usually are more suited for more experienced Linux users.

Make your CD drive the first in the boot options (it may be D: or E: drive or something similar - usually it's the D: drive). You will need to have the Ubuntu CD in the drive of course. If you need help with BIOS settings you can post back here.

It definitly boots from the CD. The installer screen comes up or the sound of the drive gives me an indication that it's trying, but nothing so far ever actually completes the installation. I'll try regular Ubuntu. I tried Linux Mint and got just a blank screen :confused:. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom