what's a reasonable price for vista home 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patau13

Solid State Member
My other question is how much does it cost to upgrade Vista 32bit to Vista 64bit? My software source (school) only sells the 32bit versions (for hella cheap).

Should I suck it up and get Vista Home 64bit from Newegg for $99 or try to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit (which hopefully would be cheaper)?

Buy the 32bit version from your school, and acquire a 64bit disc by other means. Your serial will work on either (Vista/Win7 are both this way).

XP couldn't do it (Unless you had a retail key, OEM keys couldn't do it), but from what Mak has said around the forums (our "Windows guru"), a Vista key will work on 32bit or 64bit. Can either wait for him to post/confirm or do some searching.

Carnage is correct. A Vista serial will work on either 32 Bit or 64 Bit versions of Windows Vista.

Gee? That will help when I go for a copy of the 64bit version of Home Premium now seen at newegg for $109.99. They raised the price right after the 1st on the oem disks.

I always thought the key and the disc were somehow tied together.

It sounds like you are saying that if I have a vista key I can take a copy of vista from a friend or anybody, load it onto my computer, and with my key it's a legal copy?

The retail version of Vista comes with one key and two discs. One for 32 bit and one for 64 bit so it will work.

I always thought the key and the disc were somehow tied together.

It sounds like you are saying that if I have a vista key I can take a copy of vista from a friend or anybody, load it onto my computer, and with my key it's a legal copy?

As long as you have a legit Vista key, you can use anybody's disc. I download discs off of the internet for when I have to repair people's computers, and as long as I use the key that's on the sticker on the side of their computer, it's legal.

As long as you have a legit Vista key, you can use anybody's disc. I download discs off of the internet for when I have to repair people's computers, and as long as I use the key that's on the sticker on the side of their computer, it's legal.
Yep, this is true:D

Makes fixing stuff a lot easier. The key is your license, which is what you pay for, in the end. Permission to install and use that software. The disc can come from anywhere, it's just a disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom