What's the point of Control Panel in WIn10???

Also, protip: most of the 'advanced' control panel functions can be gotten to by right clicking the Start button (in both Win8.1 and Win10). Even fewer clicks than control panel that way ;).

Actually, I changed my opinion about the whole thing. Control Panel is alrighty, Settings looks kinda blank. Also some programs need control panel. Another thing, if Microsoft decides to completely erase it, They would get ALOT of hate mail. amirite?

Actually, I changed my opinion about the whole thing. Control Panel is alrighty, Settings looks kinda blank.
Because it's still in the process of being transitioned over.

Also some programs need control panel.
Not sure what you mean by this...

Another thing, if Microsoft decides to completely erase it, They would get ALOT of hate mail. amirite?

Like Joe said...it's their OS - they can do what they wish. The Settings app looks a lot like what Ubuntu / Mint and OSX's 'Control Panel's look like, honestly.

The Settings app looks a lot like what Ubuntu / Mint and OSX's 'Control Panel's look like, honestly.
Microsoft does have a reputation for not being creative with their own ideas, I think Billy started that when he abused DOS from IBM

Last edited:
Microsoft does have a reputation for not being creative with their own ideas, I think Billy started that when he abused DOS from IBM

Pretty much every company ever that has a product with multiple iterations...

Well... I personally have had the new "Settings" app close in certain strange circumstances. I have a daily backup on my only Win10 machine that occurs, and the backup drive ended up being full. Kept getting strange errors about "File History not accessible". Found out it could be related to my backup, went to settings > update & security > and as soon as I clicked "Backup" the app would start to go there, then suddenly close as if nothing happened. That is just one example of it bugging out, it seems to do it fairly randomly regardless of what I am going into the "settings app" for.

So... While I kind of like the "settings app", at the same time, I am glad I have the option of using my old control panel.

They have the old backup program (back up and restore) and I find the new file history back up can clash somehow and I tend to lose backups or says it cannot find them.

I have shortcutted the win7 backup program to my desktop and just use that.

really fustrasting

Well... I personally have had the new "Settings" app close in certain strange circumstances. I have a daily backup on my only Win10 machine that occurs, and the backup drive ended up being full. Kept getting strange errors about "File History not accessible". Found out it could be related to my backup, went to settings > update & security > and as soon as I clicked "Backup" the app would start to go there, then suddenly close as if nothing happened. That is just one example of it bugging out, it seems to do it fairly randomly regardless of what I am going into the "settings app" for.

So... While I kind of like the "settings app", at the same time, I am glad I have the option of using my old control panel.

Report the bug so it can be fixed if it's an issue other people are having as well ;). The feedback app is there for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom