what's a good combo of adware and virus removal tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I really don't want to uninstall Norton since I just paid for another year. But I know that some programs (no matter what you have) could pass by a virus or spyware.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

cnelson8611 said:
Well, I really don't want to uninstall Norton since I just paid for another year. But I know that some programs (no matter what you have) could pass by a virus or spyware.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Well of course, nothing is perfect, but, do you mean to tell me you would prefer an anti-virus software that has failed numerous IMPORTANT tests, rather than something that failed less tests, and the tests that were failed... were insignificant!

I know.

There are so many people who hate Norton:

Norton DESTROYS operating systems by corrupting C:/windows/system 32 files upon uninstalling Norton. It also leaves so many frigging registry entries (NAV,SYM,SYMANTEC,NORTON..etc) that I counted over 1,000 entries...TOTALLY UNECESSARY!! AVG FREE uses a fraction of what Norton does and runs amazingly well...By the way, all you need is SYGATE or ZONE ALARM free version to run with AVG...works much better than SNORTIN'NORTON!!!

Norton also acts like a 'PARANOID MOTHER HEN' by constantly monitoring and checking all computer activities...USING up system resources...I.E. RAM, in the background.(WANT A SLOW COMPUTER ANYONE???????????????)

Someone must be writing code(ie. viruses) to confuse some of the AV detection files as I worked on someones'computer with Norton 2003 AV which had become corrupted by 34 viruses(6 Trojans, 7 Worms, and the rest were JS and other viruses)NICE WORK MR.NORTON!! The fellow with the installed NAV had no idea that his computer was 'possessed', so to speak.

GEE, I wonder if that is why he had windows opening and closing sporatically, and the 'twitchy' mouse syndrome, and his e-mail disappearing and files being re-named....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

NICE WORK MR.NORTON.....I GIVE YOU A (-8 out of 10) for causing grief and turmoil.

Sincerely

David (Computer technician)

I understand that many of the programs out there are free. But I always had the conclusion that if you pay for a program... you get better results. I have learned that is not always the case but oh well! I have another year of subscription service to Norton and might as well use it... especially if I had someone else pay for it.
I know that Norton isn't going to pick up everything... that is why I was wondering if there is another antivirus tool I can use just in case.

STINGER is a great tool to keep on any machine. It's updated regularly to keep the 45 most common on it. It's very good at removing anything it finds and always works. It's a tool provided by Mcafee, another AntiVirus company, so it's good to use.
There are many tools out there, you just need to figure out what works best for your needs. I think running 2 AV products is a bit of a waste, as being a little causious and turning off HTML in email, will save you more pain. stick with straight text, and web mail with Virus scanning and you will be safe. Avoid using IE where possible, and that will help cut down your spyware too...

Good luck

TheMajor said:
I know.

There are so many people who hate Norton:

Perhaps it would corrupt your files if you told it to remove "unnecessary" dll files upon uninstalling.. Other than that, I have never had a problem. However, right now I am using NOD32 and it is extremely fast compared to any other I have tested.. But that still doesn't make Norton a bad product.

PS- Never run more than more AV at the same time, THAT can cause corruption!

Inaris said:
STINGER is a great tool to keep on any machine. It's updated regularly to keep the 45 most common on it. It's very good at removing anything it finds and always works. It's a tool provided by Mcafee, another AntiVirus company, so it's good to use.
There are many tools out there, you just need to figure out what works best for your needs. I think running 2 AV products is a bit of a waste, as being a little causious and turning off HTML in email, will save you more pain. stick with straight text, and web mail with Virus scanning and you will be safe. Avoid using IE where possible, and that will help cut down your spyware too...

Good luck

That's why I use PocoMail. It only supports safe HTML code and does not support things like activeX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom