..what's going on with my friends PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
I assumed this would go here...

Basically my friend was just on her PC as normal and it locks up totally. She powers it down and on again, now it's going through some weird long process of examining her hard disk?

It's saying something like file format is NTSF(some four letter thing..think it involved N and T..)

checking disk for consistency. Then it goes and starts scanning for processes, doing something with "orphaned files/processes", odd things which are totally alien to us.

It's just finished and her computer seems to have booted like normal now.

Can anyone tell me what it was and why it happened?

It sounds like the compute just froze, which unfortunately happens sometimes for reasons that you might not be aware of. When Windows starts up again and detects that it was forced to shut down, it automatically starts a process in which it scans your hard drive(s) for any errors that might have happened during the forced shut down. Once the scans are completed and show no errors or inconsistencies, Windows will load up without a hitch. Unless you encounter any problems afterward, just chalk it up as a Windows experience and nothing else. If you encounter more problems, however, don't ignore them.

cheers guys, ill leave it for now since its never happened before, if it happens to her again ill tell her to download and run memtest.:thumbsup:

Its NTFS. That is the file system upon which Windows is installed. That says that there is a problem with the hard drive and that some files may have been corrupted. Run the scan!

It sounds like the compute just froze, which unfortunately happens sometimes for reasons that you might not be aware of. When Windows starts up again and detects that it was forced to shut down, it automatically starts a process in which it scans your hard drive(s) for any errors that might have happened during the forced shut down. Once the scans are completed and show no errors or inconsistencies, Windows will load up without a hitch. Unless you encounter any problems afterward, just chalk it up as a Windows experience and nothing else. If you encounter more problems, however, don't ignore them.

Yeah, I would just leave it unless you notice other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom