What's the big deal with open source? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default What's the big deal with open source?

Yah thats right, i asked it.

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter
14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: What's the big deal with open source?

It's free?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

it's generally free, and that's about it

some believe it's better than commercial software...but only if it's objectively sound...

ie., flaws can theoretically be patched quicker
and that's the only REAL thing that can be said about it...all others are purely subjective

some people see it as a standards issue, closed vs open, but that is more semantics. Like file formats...why use X commercial format when you can use X open source format.

just use this as a guide...read when you have time and see which side of the equation you fall on:
Live Search: benefits of opensource vs commercial

it doesn't matter to me if something is commercial or open source, so long as it fits what I am looking for for the current time being. Namely if I have no cash and need software...I use freeware open source as opposed to pirating.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

-It makes things available to everyone without a hindering pricetag.
-Open source could be used as a great learning tool- since the source code is viewable, you could lookover someone else's coding and see the approaches they took, etc.
-Since the code is available to be recompiled, you can tailor the coding to fit you, changing what you see fit. Linux is a good example...
-sharing the coding online, you can get help from other programmers

But this only extends so far. Certain programs just aren't as good on the open source side. If I was a pro audio techie, I wouldn't be using the open source fruity loops equivalent. I'd be using the $1500 pro tools. It just depends on what kind of program you are using.

AMD 4200+ | 2gigs Corsair XMS 3200 | EVGA nf41 sli | EVGA 9800 GTX+
Tagan ITZ 700w | Audigy 2 ZS | 250 gig WD | 80 gig WD | 750 gig WD

LAPPY | Vista Business x86
Dell Vostro 1500 | 2 gigs dell junk| 160 gig | 8600M GT
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

In windows the advantage of open source software is not very obvious because compiling code from source takes ages.

In linux you can compile most applications' source codes with 1-3 commands. This means if the application has a problem, error, bug, or if you just don't like something about it, you can go and fix it.

It also means you can compile it for your specific machine to increase efficiency.
Antec 300 Illusion
430w Antec Earthwatts
AMD Q4 640 Propus
2x4gb Patriot DDR3 1333
750gb Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive
Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

More choices and not supporting a company (or companies) you don't want to support.

Firefox is a great example of what open source can be. If FF didn't have the multitudes behind it that it does it wouldn't be much of nothing... just another limp brwser alternative. Thankfully, people took up the FF banner and worked to make it into something better.

Many distros of Linux are the same way, as well as a select group of other programs. But not all open source is equal, and some of it, quite frankly, sucks. Slapping "open source" on a pig doesn't change it into something any different than what it was to begin with.

Microsoft and many other companies would do well to take a page from the open source playbook and learn how to make products that are more open and customizable, as well as smaller and more nimble.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 01-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Aside from the benefits of not having to pay for it,

A lot of closed source freeware has adware and spyware built into it, and you can't tell unless it's obvious. With open source, there is accountability because anyone can look at the code and see what it is doing. If you are including this type of thing or doing something malicious, it would be stupid to make it open source unless you are up front about what the program is doing.

Have you ever used a commercial program and found things you wish that program could do or wouldn't do? Usually commercial software developers don't give a crap about your ideas. But in the open source world, it's all about everyone working together to make a project the best it possibly can be. With thousands of open source programmers out there wanting to help out the community, things get done faster and you're not limited to one or two viewpoints of how things should be done.

There are a lot of benefits to open source. But I'm not one of those guys that thinks that open source is the right way all of the time, and that proprietary software is evil.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
T.F's Resident Cool Guy...
Send a message via AIM to Yek Send a message via MSN to Yek Send a message via Yahoo to Yek

For me it's principle, Bill Gates has enough cash... why not donate it to other people?

Closed Thread