what would be the cause of locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are somethings I've found:

Try to disable MSN messenger 7.1 also check if:

1. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Everyone group has READ permissions.
2. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the SYSTEM account has FULL CONTROL permissions.
3. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Administrators group has FULL CONTROL permissions.
4. In the advanced security properties of the .clb files in the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here option is selected.
5. Make sure that the Everyone group has one of the following permissions:
• Traverse permissions (“List Folder Contents”) on all parent directories, including %systemdrive%, %windir%, and %windir%\registration
• The Bypass Traverse Checking permission

MS website:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444

killians45 said:
How about in safe mode? Will it go there and stay stable? Did you just update to SP2?

wouldnt be sp2... the windows disc that i have contains sp2 along with it...

havent tried safe mode yet... the option to choose SM has only come up once...

well... i did everything... i ran WD data lifeguard and the drive is still in good condition...

but it hasnt been giving me problems lately... its weird...

funny, how you keep posting this problem, yet complete ignore the advice that I gave you

EricB said:
funny, how you keep posting this problem, yet complete ignore the advice that I gave you

the only advice you gave me was to run powermax... but since i dont have dos... i couldnt...

so i checked out westendigitals help site and ran data lifeguard... the drive check out to be ok

http://support.wdc.com/download/downloadxml.asp

to GX1_Man:

how would i go about checking the psu if i dont have any extras around?

edit: oh and just this afternoon... i played doom3 and sims2 for a few hrs w/o problems... then when i went to try out ffxi, it froze up. so i ran a check on playonline and ffxi's files and the came out in the clear

EricB said:
you might have a bootsector virus. use powermax in my signature to wipe your harddrive clean and then reinstall windows

this is what I said. I have fixed a few computers with your problem and the culprit was a bootsector virus

you can use dr-dos in XP to wipe the drive clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom