What version of windows to use - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
Default Re: What version of windows to use

Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
Actully the truth here is that Windows, OS X nor Linux is capable of handling 2 nor 4 cores. Yes they can use them. But they do not utilize them. They are not coded for SMP. (Symeterical Multiple Processing) which fully utilizes the extra cores.

So while they will use them and you will get more speed out of it than you would a single core processor. They can not take full advantage of them like a applicaiton like WinRar can which is SMP.

Now i know many people are going to come in here and argue with me on this. But the truth is only a SMP coded appication cant take full advantage of the multiple cores of a CPU. Windows nor any other OS is coded that way yet. Sorry to say it but that is the truth. XP for sure is not SMP cause it was released before Dual core was ever dreamed of. OS X is still usign the same kernel it did almost 5 years ago when it released version 10. Linux is proably the closest only cause they are updated so much.

you are exactly right. just like xp wasn't really design for dual core but it can use it. 64 bit was design for dual core. ms need to put more time into 64 bit so they can resolve the compatibility issues

The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 12-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

i decided to go with Vista 32 bit

Old 12-24-2007, 04:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

64 bit is what I am running and have not had any problems there was a ton if updates for it compared to the 32 I upgraded from however if you go with the 32bit you can still get a 64 of the same 32 bit version you have at a discounted price from ms if you decide later on you want the 64 bit edition of vista personnaly I love mine but it looks like you chose the 32 bit.. Just letting you know that you can still get the 64 bit edition but don't go out and buy a new one just talk to ms and get one cheaper I don't know what they run if you need a 64 bit dvd and you purchased a 32 bit but nowhere close to retail thats for sure.

Closed Thread