What are they feeding this guy?

The thing I find funny is that everyone claims that Microsoft is sinking. Where is the proof? Everything I see, and can backup with multiple news articles from various sources, says that Microsoft has posted and increase in sales despite Windows 8.

Microsoft posts increase despite Windows 8 - Bing

Microsoft's second quarter fiscal 2013 financials were expected to echo those of Intel by reflecting the plight of firms that rely heavily on PC sales. However Microsoft bucked the trend with a 17 percent rise in revenues from the same period in 2012 to $20.4bn, with profits rising by 18 percent to $6bn.

Microsoft's revenues outside of its core Windows and Office businesses are gaining pace, with its Entertainment and Devices division, which includes Xbox, posting revenues of $2.53bn, a 56 percent increase from the same period last year. As for its Windows division, despite the firm's poorly received Windows 8 operating system it posted revenues of $5.7bn, a 23 percent increase from a year ago.

Everything I see from the posted articles show that Microsoft has an increase across the board. So how is it that Microsoft is sinking when they are making a profit? To me that doesnt make sense.

Windows 8 is not perfect, but with the upcoming plans for Windows blue to be released later this year and the public preview out in June, is planning on making changes that will make haters happy. Boot to desktop and a sudo start menu will be things present in the change. The 2 things people hate will now be optional. So that will only help to increase profits more.

Sorry to say but I dont consider Microsoft sinking in anyway when all aspects point to them improving. Apple on the other hand is very stagnant with their stuff. iOS has been updated as has OS X but not to a major extent as of late. They have yet to release anything that is a major game changer anymore. The iPhones being pushed out are still sub-par to other phones on the market. Making it a bit bigger with 1 more row of icons, an updated camera is nothing compared to what is being offered by some other devices.

So really unless Apple can push the market in a big way with the next iPhone/iPad/Mac they are looking to fail first. Microsoft on the other hand listened to the users complaints and are addressing them with their first major update to Windows 8 to bring back what users want. That will only help to increase their presence in the market and boost sales more.

But that is just my opinion on the matter. I could be wrong and have been before. So this could all just be in my head.

Can I get some ice for that burn! Even used Bing for the search!

Is it wrong if I ask if you have the windows logo tattooed on your buttocks KSOD?

:) good points

Apple sells a lot of hype and they are very good at it too.
Windows Blue or 8.1....As of yet I have not seen anything that suggest that M$ will put the start button back or an option to boot to the desktop. There's a lot of rumors floating around but from sources that have viewed leaked versions of Blue, no mention of a start button
How much will M$ charge for 8.1 upgrade?

I'm with you KSoD, I do not think MS is sinking and they've been extremely steady in terms of profit and growth over the past 10 years. Something that Apple can't really say. They've boomed since about 6 years ago and are pretty flat right now. I've heard some analysts say that with the current CEO Apple will start going downhill pretty soon (and i agree).

All i'm saying is the numbers don't tell the entire truth for reasons I stated before. Sure they've shipped a crap ton of Win8, but it's because they are in contract w/ the industry and you can't buy anything else at the large retail outlets or online. It's genius if you think about it from an MS standpoint.

Windows Blue or 8.1 will be great and i have a feeling it will be what Windows 7 was to Vista. I have Windows 8 on my netbook (touchscreen) and freaking love it. On the side I fix people's PC's and i've run into a few Windows 8 machines that aren't touch screen and i absolutely hated it. For touch - it's top-notch, for using a mouse it's like i'm trying to navigate iOS... it sucks.

Apple need to get a larger market share in areas like the corporate\personal email, storage and office software market, before they can even be considers to be taking on Microsoft or Google.

Apple may have a large smartphone and tablet share, but they still have a very small share in the laptop, desktop, server etc. market, and do not provide the above services on anywhere near the same scale of Microsoft and Google.

So to even think that Microsoft is a sinking ship shows a lack of knowledge of what they do, and how they make their money.
If that comment of them being a sinking ship was based only on the tablet they have released, and the chance of it becoming a real competitor in that market
Then I would agree that they are struggling, as iOS and Android are controlling that market, and it has been hard for other companies to break into it.
eg. WebOS & Blackberry Playbook(QNX) have failed
and Windows on tablets has struggled to gain a market share.
Even a company such as Amazon has used Android for their new tablets, as it makes better business sense, than to try and take them on.

If Microsoft can focus on the corporate side of the tablet market a little more they would take away a good market share from Apple, with regards to their iPad sales.
As most of companies buy iPad's for their staff, and I they are just not that good in a corporate environment.
If they also offered a good quality budget version available for students, I think that would help gain more market share.

Too many companies buy iPad's then have a citrix (or similar) server, so that people can load a windows desktop or windows applications on the iPad.
So it begs the question, why not just buy a windows tablet.
Well the truth is previously windows tablets have not been that good, but with the investment Microsoft have made in Surface, and they will continue this investment in the coming years, I can see them starting to take over the corporate side of things in the next 5 years.

Don't ever count out Microsoft when it comes to things like this, they are not like most companies, and when they go into a market, they go into it with the attitude that they want to dominate it, so I would not call them a sinking ship in any market, even the mobile phone one which they have struggled with I can still see them fighting for the next 10 years.

wow..I ask for ice and look who shows up.. now I;ve got frost burn!
I don't think the artist is gonna have enough ink! :)

Back
Top Bottom