What are some things you do/change/install/apply after a fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
So say you put together a brand spanking new computer and install x64 Vista on it. What do you do? What is your process of customizing/optimizing your PC to your liking. It could involve everything from installing drivers, service packs, antivirus, etc. to changing minor view settings that help your Windows/PC experience.

1) I'm just curious to know what steps (in what order) does everyone take to get their system going.

2) Also, What applications do you guys use and install?

For example, the first thing I do is 1) Adjust my resolution, view settings, icons, mouse settings, etc. 2) Then I install all the necessary drivers, 3) I install antivirus, 4) I overclock the **** out of it.... etc. etc.

Here's something I am looking for from you guys: What to do After a Fresh Install of Windows XP « Mark Sanborn . net

1. update windows
2. update drivers
3. install office
4. install logmein
5. install any other apps i need (malwarebytes, MSE)
6. adjust res to liking

I have an image of a pre-updated OS, with my various settings and preferences already done, for example with the Video and Music libraries switched to my storage drives, and with a few programs like EVGA Precision already installed. It's made from a few months after Win7 came out, so I still need to update, but it's a lot quicker than fully reinstalling etc.

Things I still need to do are install latest drivers, Steam, WLM, stuff like that.

install 7-zip, imgburn, adobe reader, flash, shockwave, java, winscp, k-lite codec pack, itunes, xp powertoys (tweakxp, command line here), hijackthis, malwarebytes, truecrypt

openoffice (depending)

MSE for AV

spywareblaster, peerblock (allow entries for yahoo searches)

Not any 2 people will do the same thing. Cause there is no right or wrong answer. Plus some of us use way more software than others. I have almost 200 apps that i have to install. There is no way i am going to sit here and name them all. Plus i cant name them all due to NDA agreements and other commitments.

I can understand trying to get an idea, but really it doesnt make any difference. There is no wrong way.

What should be done no matter what:

1. Windows Update
2. Driver Update
3. Antivirus

After that it doest matter if you install Office before or after Firefox. It doesnt matter if you use Open Office or Microsoft Office or Chrome or Opera or Safari or whatever. Those are the 3 items that should be done no matter what. To what extent and what order is completely irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom