What is Remote Desktop Connection? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default What is Remote Desktop Connection?

What Exactly is Remote Desktop Connection? It came installed with my computer but i dont know what it is and how to use it? How do u use it?

Thanks

Old 10-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to homerj14

it is a program where someone can acess your computer from a remote location.. and they can help you fix a problem basically your computer and everything you see they can see and control from their own home.. to use it all you need is MSN or you can invite VIA email.. and they connect to your I.P I believe... and your firewall will be temporarily disabled for those ports for them to acess your computer in

Old 10-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to homerj14

"google" it next time
Old 10-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

it allows users on the network or ppl on the internet to see the desktop (capture it repeatdly) and use the keyboard/mouse like they are there , of course not everyone can connect as the access is protected by user/password , basicly its a good thing for ppl that wanna remote control their home pc from work or if you know some techie and have issues that cant be resolved on the phone.. , remote desktop is available only on xp pro (you can establish remote desktop connections from pcs running the home edition but cant enable remote desktop itself (server side that is) also on other operating systems (non-xp) you can install a remote desktop client from the windows xp cd , for info on configuring & using remote desktop see this article http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprmdtp.htm , personally i prefer ultravnc http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
Old 10-31-2005, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default RE:

Is their a way were i can connect to my computer from my school? Like log in to my computer from my skool connection?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

That has nothing to do with Remote Desktop as it allows other people to "see your computer as if they were sitting in front of it". Most schools that have a decent Computer Science Department already let you access your school harddrive from the internet on their site.

Edit:

Sorry I misread your post that would be "dumb" for that to work you would have to allow all remote desktop requests. Doing so would allow anyone with your IP to take over your PC 100%.

Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Closed Thread