What are process size limits in windows op systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I ran into a snag in some of my plans recently. I was told that windows vista has a size limit of 2G for an individual process.

Is this true? And do the other microsoft operating system have some kind of process size limit? This would be unfortunate since some students I am building for need to run processes of HUGE size.

Yes it is true. What do you mean by HUGE. As there are very few processes out there that can go more than 2GB itself.

Remember that is 2GB for a SINGLE process. Not 2GB for every running process.

Huge would be 20G, 40G, whatever.

I've heard that any 64bit op system theoretically can have unlimited process size. But I also heard that micrsoft's newer op system have some arbitrary process size limit, although no one seems to know what that is.

How are you going to have a 40GB process size when motherboards don't even support that much RAM?

How are you going to have a 40GB process size when motherboards don't even support that much RAM?

Most server motherboards support more than that. And some of the i7 ones I've seen are at 32GB.

Exactly what Carnage said. For a desktop unit there is no motherboard that has that much RAM in the first place. Now if you are talking Server side that is a different story. Server OS's are not like Desktop OS's and CAN handle much more.

I still fail to see what could even use 40GB of Process power per cycle.

Graduate student research programs. Physics, massive number crunching. Someone tossed this project my way, and I am trying to figure out how to do it right.

Do microsoft op systems put an artificial limit on process size? I want to use vista business, but if it limits process size to 4G or something like that, I will have to try something else.

You would have to create a Server Environment. You could not use a desktop OS for this. It would require Server 2K3 or Server 2K8 to reach that amount of processing power per cycle. Vista Business will not be able to do what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom