What OS to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think KDE was one for Mandrake...I don't remember clearly

KDE is older than Gnome though

slackware is WAY more custumizable than suse, and it comes with a ton more packages. its 4 cds if u get the whole thing, suse is only 1 cd.

im talking bout suse 9.1 tho. maybe 9.1 pro has more, but its not free i think, i cant find it online

um, how intense of CGI are you talking? If you're talking about model rendering for cinematic quality game scenes and/or movie CGI, then I'd DEFINATLY be more interested in looking at a proper pro graphics card. Warning, they ARE NOT CHEAP. They are also not good for games, unless you get the latest and greatest that has better support for D3D, but that'll cost you around $2500. For the card, not the system. Look at Oxygen and WildCat cards. Also memory is a big must for any sort of intense graphics design, as well and 3rd would be processor. Telling you, hope money REALLY isn't an object, because you're looking at an expensive machine for professional high end graphics design.

yep, depends on how intense the CGI is. if doing something akin to say, CGI used to make Aliens, or Shrek, or ingame realistic looking cut scenes then you'll need one hell of a power house.

Soory for the long wait...I was trying to install a new CPU fan....

AnywayI do intesive CG works like sizes around 300 DPi, I'll be using a lot of Power Filiters. Then i'll install Painter, then Flash Pro 2004, Maya 4.5. Also, I would just like to have peace of mind knowing that I have a powerful system in the event i'll go back to playing graphic 3d games like Unreal Tournament^^! But yea, this won't be a common computer. I'm currently doing GUI for some of my games...and for some reason it's harsh on my current system. And finally, I'm starting to get into digital video.

well, usually graphic design cards aren't meant for gaming because of poor D3D support, but the newer ones are supposedly much better... and much more expensive. Here is an example of a card, its the WildCat Realism 800 by 3D Labs. PCI-E, I think. It also runs around $2799 for the card alone.

http://gamenews.pcvsconsole.com/view.php?news=2543

http://www.3dlabs.com/products/family.asp?fami=9

check the 2nd site, if the 800 is an overkill, these others may also prove fine, but not sure on the gaming side.. the 800 supposedly runs games VERY well, though. Yes, this is ONE hell of a video power house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom