What OS to get? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question What OS to get?

I'm in College now so i'm thinking about getting a laptop. I am a CG artist and currently learning game programming. I use two programs frequently such as RPG Maker 2003 and Gamemaker 5. I am seriously thinking about switching to OS X because Mac's are generally really good for the digital graphics area (Photoshop, Painter, Flash, etc). I have no idea what I want, Windows Hyperthreading or Mac's G4 Powerbook...and I read the circular's every Sunday and PC's just seem to be cheap...especially Desktops.

The main reason i'm a little apprehensive about switching to Mac is because of compatibility issues only. Money is not an issue. I have absolutely nothing against the Mac, in fact I love it! It just looks so COOL...very nice looking displays and their towers and monitors and the GUI ^_^ (cries). Yes the GUI!...LOVE the Aqua. I heard that you can mimic the Aqua look for your Windows but eh. Anyway, any opinions on what I should get for a new laptop.
Thanks in advance!

Old 09-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I would get a nice Toshiba laptop with WindowsXP

Old 09-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

WOW...that was fast!@_@, yea I like them...I read the circular's on Sundays and those seem to be good.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

yeah..I am very very fast..always..LOL

I don't think you need anything special...I would get a good one with at leat 2.5GHz
Old 09-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well how about the Hyper-Threading Tech? I'm going to be using Photoshop, Painter, Flash a lot...not all at once of course lol...But I will using it for a lot of a lot Graphic Intensive tasks..so i'm thinking that I might need maybe a 3Ghz HT.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

yes, that would be very good because Photoshop supports HT (multiple threads)
Old 09-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea especially Photoshop CS...now what is your take on OS X? Do you own or have you ever used a Mac?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

mm...I don't like MAC very much, but that's probably because I don't know it very well
Old 09-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i personally would stick to xp, even tho its not the best out there. U could look into linux, its free, but hard to get started with. Dont know much bout macs.
3x2GB g.skill
XFI GTX260 Black Edition
640 WD Caviar Black
Vista Home Premium x64
Old 09-06-2004, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

oh i see...yea with the latest craze about the G5 and all...suddenly makes me want to get one. Some hardcore Mac users say you haven't experienced a real computer if you don't get a G5....I don't know how to reply to that at all. I think their statement was a little bit exaggerated.

Closed Thread