In what order do I install the OS/Drivers/BIOS update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
I was hoping someone here can help me understand the correct order of installation of the following items:

Operating System
System/Motherboard Drivers
Flash Update for the BIOS

Can you help me please?

Thanks,

Soarwitheagles

Operating system first, then the drivers. I don't think it matters when you do the BIOS update.

Operating system first, then the drivers. I don't think it matters when you do the BIOS update.

Greg, thanks for the reply! I read at NewEgg, this motherboard has major issues with the ancient BIOS [f3] which caused major problems for most of the people. Then most of them said that after the update to f6, everything works awesome.

This is why I was trying to understand when to update the BIOS...

According to these customers who purchased this motherboard, it is absolutely vital.

I just don't know where in the process to do it.

Soarwitheagles

BIOS update depends...sometimes you can flash the BIOS from booting with a update utility and load off of a flash drive or floppy disk, while other times you have to install a Windows utility, and flash the BIOS through there then reboot.

BIOS update depends...sometimes you can flash the BIOS from booting with a update utility and load off of a flash drive or floppy disk, while other times you have to install a Windows utility, and flash the BIOS through there then reboot.

Thanks Carnage!

Well, I attempted to update the BIOS before I installed Vista, but it would not seem to take it. I tried it by putting the update on a flash drive. Screen kept saying no drive could be found. I sure hope I can install the BIOS update after I have installed windows Vista!

Have a good one!

Soarwitheagles

Thanks Carnage!

Well, I attempted to update the BIOS before I installed Vista, but it would not seem to take it. I tried it by putting the update on a flash drive. Screen kept saying no drive could be found. I sure hope I can install the BIOS update after I have installed windows Vista!

Have a good one!

Soarwitheagles

Were you going t hrough the QTFlash (or w/e its called..can't rmember since its been a while since I had to update my BIOS), or were you trying to actually boot off of the flash drive? Not for sure that Gigabyte makes a Windows-based BIOS updater...

Were you going t hrough the QTFlash (or w/e its called..can't rmember since its been a while since I had to update my BIOS), or were you trying to actually boot off of the flash drive? Not for sure that Gigabyte makes a Windows-based BIOS updater...

I was trying the update process that uses the Q-flash Utility.

Odd...my Gigabyte board recognized my drive right away and have been able to update numerous times without problems.

Try taking everything off of the drive, except for the BIOS file, and put it in the main directory.

Odd...my Gigabyte board recognized my drive right away and have been able to update numerous times without problems.

Try taking everything off of the drive, except for the BIOS file, and put it in the main directory.

Carnage,

Thanks again for your reply. I am not sure of the meaning of your instruction. I did place the updated file on a flashdrive...maybe that was my problem. How do I place it in the main directory?

Soar

So that it's not inside any folders on the flash drive. For example, if your flash drive was lettered 'F:' in windows, you'd put it so it was in the F: root, and not in a subfolder, like this: 'F:\files\BIOSUPDATE.EXE' or whatever it may be. Although you should be able to navigate inside the folders within Q-Flash.

How big a flash drive are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom